Chapter 37

-

Two weeks.

Two weeks had passed since I left Alexandria with the recruiting team.

And these two weeks have been nothing short of Hell. From being chased by multiple herds of walkers, being attacked by a lunatic, and getting lost— I'm ready to go home.

"You okay?" Tara asked, handing me a homemade granola bar— that I am now completely sick of.

"I'm great." I replied, sarcastically.

"One more day, Jess, one more day." Aaron encouraged as he patted my shoulder.

"And what exactly have we accomplished on this trip?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"We tracked down the survivors." He answered.

"And found them dead. Everything we did, everything we went through was for nothing." I replied.

"Not every recruiting trip has a fairy tale ending. Some are depressing.. and this one just so happened to be that. Sadly." He explained.

"And it's not all for nothing. You learned new skills, you freshened old ones up, and you supported our team very well. We couldn't have made it this far without you." Eric stated, sitting down from across the fire.

"You're just sweetening me up in hopes I continue recruiting." I replied, crossing my arms.

"Shh. Do you hear that?" Eric hissed, shushing me, Tara, and Aaron from bantering each other.

I turned my head toward the noise, hearing gunfire from off in the distance.

"That's Alexandria." Aaron breathed, our eyes meeting.

"How do you know that's Alexandria?" I asked.

"Red Bird, do you copy?" Eugene's voice rang out.

I looked to the walkie in Aaron's hand before standing up from the log I was seated on.

"Yes. What is going on?" Aaron asked.

"We are under attack. I repeat under attack! Get the team back as soon as possible. We need all the man power at the ready—"

"I lost him." Aaron hissed, turning knobs on the walkie talkie.

"Let's go!" Eric ordered, scrambling to take down the tent.

I felt sick.

My stomach felt knotted up as I quickly moved around the campsite gathering our things. The only thing I could think about was Rick and if he was okay.

Hell, he's the only thing that's been on my mind this entire trip.

"They're okay. They're okay. Everything's okay. Right?" Tara asked, pacing around me.

"Uh, yeah. Everything's gonna be fine." I reassured her as I zipped my backpack up.

"Who would attack Alexandria?" Tara asked Eric as Aaron continued to reach Eugene with the walkie.

"I have no idea." Eric replied, fear covering his face as he carried the tent sets to the van.

"Let's go!" Aaron ordered the three of us.

After loading up in the van, Aaron floored the gas pedal, speeding down the dirt road before driving out onto the highway.

"Everyone, do not shoot unless our people are in danger. We don't know if this is an actual attack or a threat. We don't shoot until we know our people are being harmed." Eric ordered.