Chapter 62

-

"You look so much better!" Carol exclaimed as I entered the farmhouse.

"I feel a lot better." I replied, closing the door behind me.

"What did they say was wrong?" Maggie inquired as I lingered by the door.

"Dehydration and vitamin deficiencies. I got a lot of IV fluids and the doctor gave me prenatal to take to help with the vitamin deficiencies." I answered as I pulled the ultrasound photos out of my back pocket.

"And baby?" Carol questioned.

"Baby is perfectly healthy and a boy." I answered, smiling as I handed her the ultrasound photos.

"Boy?!" Maggie squealed.

"Yes." I replied.

"Oh how cute!" Carol exclaimed as she studied the photos.

"Let me see!" Maggie ordered her.

"What did Rick think?" Rosita inquired.

"He seemed happy." I replied.

"How are you two?" Carol inquired.

"We're.. on a break." I answered, shrugging my shoulders.

"A break? You're married." Rosita replied, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It wasn't my decision." I stated.

"I think you two will be just fine. It's been a rough few weeks and you're just hitting a bump in the road." Carol stated, trying to reassure me.

"I don't think another woman is a bump in the road, Carol." Rosita replied.

"It's not." I muttered as I walked through the living room.

"Jess!" Carl called out as the front door swung open.

"Hey—"

"Dad said we're going to White Oak. Why?" Carl asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Who is 'we'?" I asked.

"Me and Judith and dad." He answered, his eyes studying mine.

"I didn't know anything about that." I stated, feeling anger begin to build.

"He said we have to live there until Alexandria is built because he's on the council. You're coming too, right?" He asked, confusion written all over his face.

"No." I replied, shaking my head.

I looked to the door, watching as Rick entered with Daryl, Abraham, Glenn, and Negan trickling in behind him.

"Guess we're having a meeting." Maggie muttered as she returned to the couch.

"Are you leaving our group?" Tara asked Rick as soon as her eyes landed on him.

"The council at White Oak has decided they want me at the community until Alexandria is rebuilt. It's too difficult making several trips back and forth every week to prepare and plan the rebuild. Carl and Judith are coming with me and everyone else will remain here until Alexandria is rebuilt." Rick explained as he glanced around everyone in the room.

"Jess is leaving, too?" Glenn asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"No." I answered immediately.

"If you're gone who's going to be our leader?" Tara asked.

"You all can decide that." Rick replied, seeming completely detached from the rest of us.

"I vote Jess." Rosita stated, looking to me.