Chapter 99

-

I inhaled a deep breath and looked down at the river while trying to decide whether to go back inside the cabin or go back to Hilltop.

Sighing, I turned and entered the cabin before locking the door behind me. I returned my backpack to the floor and found Rick exiting the bedroom.

"Arguing over the past isn't helping the future whether we get back together or not." I muttered as I brought my eyes to his.

"What happened happened. No matter how bad I want to go back in time and make better decisions, I can't. Neither can you. All I can do is make better decisions now. I could've went on to Hilltop pissed at you, you pissed at me... but I'm choosing to stay and prevent any of our progress from going out the door." I explained while stepping closer.

"I was coming after you anyway." He stated as he looked down at my eyes.

I glanced to his hand as he moved to his short, curly hair while he sat down on the sofa.

"I love you, Jess." He confessed as he held his head in his hands.

He may be drunk, but I definitely didn't mind hearing him say that again.

"I don't want to let you go— let us go." He stated. I gently wrapped my hands around his wrists and pulled his hands away from his head before stepping closer.

"Then don't." I replied as I placed my finger under his chin and tilted his head up. He locked his eyes on mine and I placed my right hand on his head and ran my fingers through his hair.

"We're not jumping back in." He replied.

"We're not." I stated as he moved his hands to the back of my thighs.

"Then what are you doing?" He asked as I placed each knee on each of his hips.

"Taking things slow." I answered as I straddled his lap.

"I don't think this is exactly slow." He replied while moving his hands to my hips.

"We have some making up to do before we even think about jumping in, don't you think?" I asked as I looked into his eyes. "Instead of thinking about me with.. someone else, I want you to think about me with you."

"That I can do." He replied while moving his hands up my sides.

"Show me." I ordered while moving both hands to his hair.

My heart pounded in my stomach as our lips teased each other from only inches apart. One kiss is all it would take for us to be hooked again and both of us knew that.

"What do we call this then?" He asked while moving some of my hair behind my ear.

"Healing." I answered while placing one of my hands on his shoulder and the one on his jaw.

As soon as his lips touched mine, my heart felt as if it was going to escape from my chest. I moved my lips against his as a warm sensation covered my entire body and chill bumps rose upon my skin.

I deepened the kiss as his hands moved to the bottom of my shirt before pulling it up. We broke away long enough for him to pull the shirt off of me before crashing our lips back together.

I felt his hands go to my butt as he scooted to the edge of the couch before standing up with me. I wrapped my legs around his waist as he quickly carried me into the bedroom before gently putting me down on the bed.