Chapter 128

-

I closed my journal and sat it on my coffee table before adjusting my blanket and blowing out the candle beside me. I lied down on the couch and looked up at the ceiling, feeling some better than I did an hour ago.

The silence in my house was deafening.

I looked to my front door, hearing several knocks followed by silence. I quickly stood up and peeked out my window, finding Rick standing in front of my door alone.

I walked to the door and hesitated behind it, wondering if I should ignore him. I sighed and opened the door, hoping the swelling and my bloodshot eyes were gone.

"Hey." He greeted while looking to my eyes.

"Hi." I replied.

"I'm sorry, I know it's late, but I need some extra diapers. I thought we had some but apparently they're all in the wash." He explained while scanning my face.

"Okay." I replied while stepping away from the door. I turned around and quickly walked down the hall to get the cloth diapers from Magnolia's room.

I opened the top dresser drawer and retrieved four cloth diapers before closing it and heading back to the door where Rick was now waiting inside.

"Here." I muttered while handing them to him.

"Thanks." He replied while taking them from my hand.

"No problem." I stated while awkwardly glancing to my living room while he turned away to leave.

"Are you alright?" He asked while turning back around.

"Yeah, why?" I asked while looking up at him.

"Your lips are puffy like they get after you cry." He answered while looking at my lips.

"Oh. No. Yeah, I'm good." I replied while nodding my head.

He looked back to my eyes and took a step forward.

"We're not strangers, you know." He stated while glancing to the diapers in his hand.

"Yeah." I muttered.

"If you need someone, you can still talk to me." He replied while looking back to my eyes.

"Thanks. I appreciate it." I replied while my eyes focused on his.

"It's quiet in here." He stated while glancing to the living room.

"Yep. Very. It's just me, myself, and I. Quiet out here, loud in here." I replied while pointing to my head.

"You should've stayed for game night." He replied while moving forward slightly.

"Ah, it was a family thing. Didn't feel like I should've been there." I explained while scratching the tip of my nose.

"Yeah." He replied while nodding his head.

"You know, I know everything about you and I know when you're not okay. And I know when you're lying to me." He stated while studying my eyes.

"I know." I replied while looking away from him.

"I'm happy for you, by the way." I blurted while pulling at my jacket sleeve.

His eyes scanned my face before glancing to the wall behind me.

"She's beautiful, funny, sweet, and she's good to the kids. You deserve someone like her. She's good for you." I told him while watching his eyes focus on the floor.

"She's great with the kids." He stated while nodding his head.

"So when are you asking her?" I asked while tilting my head to the side.