Chapter 51

-

I jumped up from the couch, hearing rapid gunfire from outside. I peeked out the window, catching a glimpse of someone dressed in military uniform.

The Savages.

"Judith, let's go play downstairs, okay?" I ordered, quickly closing the curtains and locking the front door.

"Okay!" Judith exclaimed as I quickly picked her up and ran to the basement stairs.

I closed the door behind us and turned the light on before I quickly raced down the stairs. I sat Judith down on the small sofa before kneeling down in front of her.

"Baby, I need you to listen to me, okay?" I muttered, looking into her eyes as I brushed her hair out of her face.

She nodded her head and gazed into my eyes as I placed my hands on her arms.

"There are mean people outside who want to hurt us. We have to be very quiet down here, okay? We have to be big girls so we can stay safe and we can play all day." I explained.

"I'm a big girl." She replied.

"I know you are." I replied, smiling.

I stood up and walked over to the gun safe before picking my rifle out. I quickly loaded it before moving a chair over to the end of the stairs so I could get a clear view of the door.

My mind raced with worries as I thought about Rick and Carl out there in this mess. I looked over to Judith who colored in a coloring book with crayons before sitting down in the chair.

I know I am needed out there but I have to protect Judith first.

I slowly stood up from the chair, hearing a loud noise which I assumed was the front door being busted open.

I glanced to Judith who looked up at the ceiling before looking to me.

"Stay there and be quiet. Cover your ears." I ordered Judith.

I looked back to the basement door and raised my rifle as I prepared to take the life of whoever decided to try me today.

I listened closely as footsteps ran across the living room before entering the hallway and stopping in front of the door.

My blood ran cold as the person began whistling as their footsteps passed the basement door.

I gripped my rifle tighter, watching as the door knob began turning.

"Hey!" I heard Carl yell from upstairs followed by two gunshots.

I quickly ran up the stairs and opened the door, finding a Savage laying in the hallway with blood pouring from his head.

"Carl! Are you okay?" I asked, my eyes scanning over him as he approached me.

"Yeah. Are you? Where is Judith?" He asked as he followed me down the stairs.

"She's down here. We're okay." I answered.

"It's okay, Judith." Carl muttered as Judith slowly came out from the corner.

"Have you seen your dad?" I asked.

"No." He answered.

"I'm going upstairs. You two stay down here." I ordered as I ran back up the stairs.

After several minutes of pacing from the front door to the back door, I noticed the gunfire became nonexistent.