Chapter 103

-

"Why is Negan here?" Rick asked me as we returned to our table.

"I don't know." I answered.

"Rick, you've got it made, bud." Duncan stated while eyeing my chest as I sat down on my chair.

"How so?" Rick asked while looking to him.

"A beautiful woman such as your wife, chose someone like you." Duncan replied before chuckling as if he was joking.

"I don't know what you mean by that. Rick is very attractive and if anyone's got it made, it's me." I replied, growing defensive.

"Easy, darling. I'm just joking." Duncan stated while smiling.

I glanced to the waiter who served Rick and I our plates first before setting Duncan, Charlene, and Kayla's plates down after.

I eyed the large plate of food, finding marinated grilled chicken breast with garlic mashed potatoes and honey glazed carrots which immediately had me salivating.

"You got to be kidding." Kayla snapped. I looked up from my plate, finding her pushing her plate toward the waiter's hand.

"What's wrong, ma'am?" The waiter asked while nervously taking the plate from her.

I raised my eyebrows, finding her attitude and actions completely disgusting.

"The salmon is undercooked and my asparagus is tough." She spat.

"I'm sorry it doesn't suit you. I'll fix that right away, ma'am." The waiter replied.

"No you won't. The food is fine. Kayla, shut up." Charlene snapped while reaching for the plate.

I began focusing on my breathing to get my mind off of beating her face in before glancing to Rick who was already staring at me.

"What changed your mind on coming?" He asked.

"I heard you'd have to have dinner with her instead and I just couldn't let you go through that." I joked while also being completely serious.

"I appreciate the sacrifice." He replied while smirking.

I laughed to myself and picked up my fork to start eating.

"I know. Olivia is so ugly. She thinks that dress looks good on her, too. It's laughable." Some women stated as she walked by our table with two others.

Seriously? Is that all people worry about here?

"So, Jessica, what are your plans to help the women of White Oak?" Charlene asked while dabbing her mouth with her napkin.

"What do you mean?" I questioned while looking up from my plate.

"As President's wife, you now have duties here at White Oak— mainly advocating for the women and children." She answered while glancing to Rick.

I looked to Rick as if I could kill him before looking back to her.

"I don't plan to share my ideas at this time." I replied before forcing a smile.

"Oh, okay. Pardon me!" She replied with a smile.

"Alright everyone, while you enjoy your dinner, we have our first speaker—a visitor from Mr. Grimes' former community. Please give a warm welcome to Tara!" The announcer declared. I quickly looked to Tara who was stumbling her way to the stage and immediately looked to Maggie's table where they all wore concerned looks.

"Oh no." I breathed while looking back to the stage.

"She's drunk." I whispered to Rick as he watched her get on stage.