Chapter 30

-

I slowly swung back and forth on the porch swing, listening to Rick and Carl's muffled laughter from inside the house.

Glancing down at my watch, I realized I had spent the last thirty minutes reflecting on my life since the apocalypse.

I looked up, watching as Rick stepped out onto the porch and closed the door behind him.

"You alright?" Rick asked, glancing to me before walking to the edge of the porch and looking up at the starry sky.

"Yeah." I muttered, wiping the remaining tears off of my face.

"Have you been crying?" He asked, concern crossing his face as he studied me for a bit.

"Yes." I answered, his eyes scanning my face.

"How's your war wound?" He inquired, changing the subject.

"Good. I'm not near as sore as I was." I replied, running my fingers through my hair.

"Look, I want to talk to you about us." He stated, looking down at me.

"Okay." I muttered, feeling nervous as he stepped back and put his hands in jacket pockets.

"I don't want you to think I'm taking advantage of you." He replied, turning to look at me.

"I don't think that." I replied, beginning to swing slowly back and forth again.

"What are we?" He asked, his eyes on mine as he spoke.

"I think the technical term is friends with benefits." I answered.

"Are you looking for anything more than that?" He inquired. I studied him for a second, not knowing what to say. How does he feel about us? Why does he want to know all of a sudden?

"Uh, I don't know. I'm just kinda confused as to why you're suddenly asking me these questions." I answered.

"I just don't want to waste your time." He replied.

"You're not a waste of time." I stated, not understanding what he is trying to say.

"Dammit, Jess." He muttered, turning away from me.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows as I stood up from the swing.

"I need you to be straight up with me. I need to know what we're doing." He answered.

"I don't know. We screw each other's brains out and that's all I know." I stated, becoming annoyed.

"Last night was different." He replied.

"How?" I asked.

"I think we need to stop seeing each other." He stated.

"Okay." I muttered, looking away from him.

"Last night wasn't just sex. I don't know where things are heading now and I don't want either of us to get hurt." He replied.

"You're scared of catching feelings for me, or me catching them for you, right?" I replied, crossing my arms.

"It would be different if we both wanted the same thing—"

"It's fine, I get it." I muttered, desperately trying to get out of our conversation.

"Are you upset?" He asked, his eyes scanning my face.

"Just confused." I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

I turned my head, finding Jessie approaching the house. I studied her for a bit, finding her hair done up and wearing a nice outfit.