Chapter 16

-

I leaned against the large oak tree, feeling extremely tired from my treacherous walk.

"Almost there." I mumbled to myself after taking a drink of water.

Looking over to the small, open field, I watched as walkers roamed the area before heading off into the woods.

I sat down beside my husband and son's grave and pulled my knees up to my chest.

"I know you know that I would've done anything to save you both. I would've gave my life for yours. Hell, I tried." I mumbled, feeling tears pool in my eyes.

"And I know you wouldn't want me to blame myself." I muttered.

I watched as a red leaf fell onto the grass in front of me, followed by another.

"I love and miss you both so much." I whispered, wiping a few tears off of my face.

"But I wouldn't bring you back to this Hell even if I could. I know you're happy where you're at. You're safe. You're together. And Jason, Ashton is probably out-fishing you, even with his little rod and reel." I joked, laughing at the memory of when Jason took us fishing one evening.

~ flashback ~

"Dad! I got one! I got one!" Ashton squealed, holding onto his fishing rod.

"Reel it in, son!" Jason ordered, dropping his rod and running to Ashton.

"You got it!" I exclaimed, standing up and approaching them both.

"Wow!" Ashton yelled, reeling the fish out of the water.

"That's a good one! Let me get a picture." Jason ordered as he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"Jason, your pole!" I exclaimed, pointing to where his pole was about to be pulled into the pond.

Ashton and I watched with excitement as Jason reeled in the fish on his line.

"Huh." Jason muttered, reeling in a small blue-gill.

"Aw, it's a baby." Ashton cooed.

I laughed, watching Jason's reaction as he unhooked the fish.

"Here, babe. Let me get a picture." I joked, pulling my phone out of my back pocket.

"Real funny." Jason replied. I smiled, watching as the two held up their fish and smiled. I snapped the photo before returning my phone to my pocket.

"I think Ashton got you beat today." I replied, looking to Jason.

"What can I say? He learned from the best." Jason replied, sarcastically.

~ end of flashback ~

"I love you both. I know I'll see you again one day, but until then, I know you would want me to start living again. I know you would want me to let go of the guilt, regret, and the revenge in my heart." I continued as I picked the weeds off of the top of the graves.