Chapter 97

-

"So... last night?" Maggie questioned while pouring herself a glass of water.

"We talked a lot and we're both okay with each other now." I told Maggie after explaining to her what Rick did for me.

"I'm glad. Do you think you'll get back together?" She inquired while drinking a sip from her glass of water.

"I.. don't know. He's hesitant." I muttered.

"Do you want to get back together?" She questioned.

"Yes, but I'll admit sometimes I think it's best we just stay apart. I don't get it. We're better together when we're friends. There's no arguing, fussing, fights, accusations... it's easy. Why can't it be that way when we're in a relationship?" I asked as I circled the dining table.

"I don't know, Jess." She sighed.

"Hey, there are a group of people at the gate." Daryl declared as he entered into the living room.

"Great." Maggie grumbled.

"I can handle it." I told her while setting my glass down.

"We'll handle it together. C'mon." She ordered while walking by me.

I quickly followed her out of the house and down to the front entrance where Abraham and Negan stood waiting for us.

"Got nine survivors out here. Two women, six men, one child." Abraham informed us.

"Open the gate." I ordered.

I watched as Glenn opened the gate, revealing the group. I quickly scanned my eyes over them before walking to them.

"We're not here to harm." One man stated as he sat his pistol on the ground along with his knife.

"What can I help you with?" I asked, watching as he motioned for the rest of his group to follow his lead.

"We need help. We've been on the road for three months. We're exhausted, hungry, scared... the list goes on." He answered.

I returned my pistol to the holster around my thigh as they each laid their weapons down at their feet.

"Where were you three months ago?" I inquired.

"Easton Sanctuary." He answered.

"I hear it's a nice community. Power, water, vehicles, food... everything is like old times. What made you leave?" I interrogated while looking into the dirty man's sharp green eyes.

"We were tired of being a part of the bottom feeders. We do all the fighting, killing, sewage treatment, all the dirty work for the big wigs. Sure, we had shelter, power, and water— but the things we experienced each day wasn't worth any of it." He explained.

"I'd much rather be on the road." One woman stated.

"Sounds familiar." I mumbled while studying each of them.

"I'm Drake." The little boy greeted while flashing me a smile.

"I'm Jessica, but you can call me Jess." I replied. "How old are you?" I questioned.

"Five!" He exclaimed while holding up one hand and waving his fingers.

"Are you looking to join?" I asked, looking to who I assumed was their leader.

"If this place is what we think it is, yes." He answered.

"What do you think it is?" I inquired.

"We heard kids. We heard chickens. You all don't look like you're starving. You look healthy and happy. We think it's a place maybe we can call home— I hope anyway. We've been wrong before." He replied while looking into my eyes.