Chapter 27

-

"Hey." Spencer greeted, stepping into the infirmary room.

"Hi." I replied, raising up in the bed.

"I just wanted to come by and check on you." He stated. I noticed his bloodshot eyes and tear-stained cheeks as he made his way over to the chair by my bed.

"I'm okay. I'm so sorry about your dad." I replied, truly feeling awful for what happened.

He nodded his head and avoided eye contact as he pushed his hair back out of his eyes.

"I'm just so angry. We didn't have the best relationship but he was my dad." He stated, his voice cracking.

"I know." I mumbled, slowly getting out of the bed.

"I feel like I'm in this really long nightmare and I— I'm sorry. I'm here to check on you, not here for you to check on me." He replied, looking to me.

"I was going to check on you later, anyways. It's okay." I replied, grabbing ahold of his hand.

"I know we started out on a rough road, but I hope we can move past that. I'm glad to see you're okay." He replied. I smiled and gave his hand a squeeze in response.

"You're ready to go!" Denise declared, walking into my room and handing me a sheet of paper.

My eyes scanned over the paper, finding the instructions for caring for my injury at home.

"Thank you." I replied, folding the paper and sticking it in my pocket.

"Spencer, care to take her home? I can, but I'm slammed with patients." Denise asked, looking to Spencer.

"I can take myself home, that's fine." I replied.

"Absolutely not." Denise replied, rolling a wheelchair to my bed.

"I'll take her home." Spencer stated.

"Thank you. Jessica, if any of your symptoms worsen or you begin throwing up, get back here immediately." Denise ordered.

"I will." I replied, watching as she locked the wheels on the chair. I sighed as Spencer gently held onto my arms as I slowly sat down into the wheelchair.

"I bet you're glad to go home." Spencer stated as he wheeled me out of the room.

"Definitely." I replied.

Several minutes later we finally arrived at my house.

"I'll help you up the stairs, hold on." Spencer ordered as he parked the wheelchair by the porch steps.

"I got it, Spencer. Thank you." I replied after he helped me up from the chair.

"Are you sure?" He asked as I began climbing the stairs.

Arms quickly went around me as I tripped over the last step right before I landed.

"Nope, not sure." I groaned, feeling pain shoot through my abdomen as he steadied me.

"I got you." He replied, putting an arm around my back as he helped me inside.

"You alright?" He asked, closing the door behind us.

"I'm not sure." I sighed, placing a hand over my stomach. I glanced around, finding the house completely silent.

"Guess you got the house to yourself for now." Spencer stated as we began walking down the hall.

"Yep." I mumbled, entering my room.

"There ya go." He replied as I sat down on my bed.

"Thank you for helping me." I replied as he stepped back from my bed.