Chapter 57

-

"We're having a meeting if you want to join us." Maggie stated, meeting me at the barn.

"Now?" I asked, following her out.

"Yeah." She replied.

I looked to the farmhouse, finding our entire group standing around talking amongst each other.

"It's been four days since Rick said he would be home." Carol stated, looking to me specifically.

"I realize." I replied, crossing my arms.

"He wouldn't say he would be home in two days and not stick to his word unless something happened out of his control." Glenn replied.

"I'm gonna go out there." Daryl stated.

"I'll go, too." Glenn replied, volunteering himself.

"And we needed a meeting for this?" I inquired.

"We need to figure out if we are staying here permanently and rebuilding, or just sit around on our ass and wait for our leader to get back from his mental breakdown." Tara stated.

I tilted my head to the side, finding her tone extremely bitter and rude.

"We will figure that out once Rick is back." Carol replied.

"And what if he doesn't come back? We need to think of every possibility instead of the positive ones. That's what got us into this mess in the first place." Tara snapped.

"I know you're upset about Denise, but you don't have to take your shit out on us." I spat, having enough of her mouth for the day.

"That's easy for you to say since Rick is alive and Denise is dead. Well, maybe he is. Who knows!" She replied, narrowing her eyes at me.

I clenched my jaw and fists while trying my best not to floor her.

"Guys, stop. You're friends, not enemies. We're all stressed and upset right now. Let's not turn on each other." Rosita ordered.

I stepped toward Tara and stared into her eyes while struggling not to lose my shit.

"Jess," Maggie muttered from beside me.

"Let's not forget the reason why you're able to stand here and run you're fucking mouth. Rick took you in when you had no where to turn. He's saved your ass many times." I stated, looking into Tara's eyes as a hand wrapped around my wrist.

"I don't know who you are anymore." Tara replied, shaking her head.

"Me? You're the one being such a bitch all the time. Blaming everyone for every fault when all everyone is trying to do is survive." I snapped.

"Enough, both of you." Carol stated, pulling Tara away from me.

I rolled my eyes and turned around before heading back to the barn.

-

"You alright?" Maggie asked, sitting down beside me on the porch steps.

"I'll be fine." I replied, feeling the cool night air nip at my arms.

"I wanted to apologize for the other night. I never meant to hurt your feelings or speak bad about your relationship." She stated.

"You didn't." I sighed.

"You're like a sister to me. I love you and it hurts me to see you hurting. I know Rick is doing what he thinks is best, and I don't think he would purposely hurt you." She replied.

"I love you." I replied.

"How many weeks are you now?" She inquired.

"I think thirteen, I don't know anymore. I lost track." I muttered.