Chapter 63

-

"We hit the lottery today!" Glenn exclaimed as he and Abraham climbed out of a black, four-door, Ford truck.

"A truck?" Maggie asked as she approached us.

"Not just a truck. A truck with a full tank! Look in the bed." He ordered her.

"Solar panels?" Maggie asked, smiling as she looked to Glenn.

"It'll take a few days but we will eventually have power. I just have to figure out how to do this shit." He replied.

"You okay?" Abraham asked me.

"Yeah." I answered as he handed me a large cardboard box that began 'clucking'.

"What's in there?" Maggie asked as my box nearly jumped from my hands.

"Two chickens." Glenn answered with excitement.

"I hope one's a rooster." I stated as I peeked through one of the air holes in the box.

"Where the hell did you find chickens?" Maggie inquired.

"I told you, we hit the lottery." Glenn answered as I nearly dropped the box.

"What else did y'all find?" I asked as I sat the box down on the ground.

"Garden seeds. Plenty of them!" Glenn answered.

"So where are we putting these mothercluckers?" Maggie inquired as she tapped the box.

"We'll put them in the barn for now. We'll finish repairing the coop today." Abraham answered.

I walked toward the barn before around and down to the grassy area off to itself that I believe could be used for a great garden.

"What's that?" Daryl asked as he approached me while pointing to the bag in my hand.

"Seeds." I answered as he took the bag from me.

"Where the hell did that come from?" Daryl asked, turning to face the barn as a chicken began clucking extremely loud.

"Glenn and Abe found chickens today." I replied.

"Where?" He asked, looking back at me.

"I don't know." I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

"You doing okay?" He asked, his eyes meeting mine.

"Uh.. yeah. I'm just trying to figure out exactly where the garden should be." I replied as I began looking through the different packs of seeds.

"It's almost fall." He replied.

"Oh. Yeah. I'll just make a green house or something." I replied, feeling stupid for not thinking.

"Yeah, that would be good." He replied, his eyes studying my face as if he was preparing for me to breakdown.

"I'm fine, Daryl." I sighed.

"If you aren't, you know I'm here." He replied, backing away from me.

I nodded my head and waved him off before beginning to walk around to the front of the barn.

-

I wrapped a blanket around me as I sat down in the wooden rocking chair and listened as the rain hit the tin roof above my head.

I glanced out to the front gate and watched as Aaron climbed down from the watch stand and opened the gate, letting Negan inside the community.

"Hey." Tara muttered as the door shut behind her.