Chapter 25

- next day -

-

"Good evening, Jessica. How are you?" Deanna greeted me as I opened the door.

"I'm alright. You?" I asked.

"Have a few minutes to chat?" She inquired.

"Yeah, I do. Come in." I ordered.

"I completely respect your decision on denying the therapist position. I've been watching you the past few days— sounds creepy, I know, but look over me. I've noticed you have a skill you may not realize you have." She explained, giving me a warm smile.

"Please enlighten me." I replied, sitting down on the couch.

"You're a leader." She stated.

"I am far from a leader." I replied, almost laughing.

"You're mental strength— it's astonishing. I've heard your story. You have integrity, confidence, courage, and empathy— something that not many people have anymore." She explained.

"I don't understand what you're getting at." I replied.

"You have leadership qualities, Jessica. Something this town has a need for. We need true leaders at the top of our system here. I think you're one that I can eventually have at my right hand." She explained, sitting down in front of me.

"So, you want me to do what exactly?" I asked, confused.

"I'd like you to help me govern our community. I'm naming you head of council and I want you to be our emergency management director." She answered, folding her hands.

"You don't even know me—"

"I've seen and heard enough. Besides, you can continue to prove yourself to me." She replied.

"I don't know." I replied.

"Do you accept?" She inquired.

"Uh, I need to think about it. That's a big responsibility and I've never—"

"Think it over. Let me know in the morning." She ordered, giving me a smile.

"I just don't understand how you could choose someone to help govern your community when you've only known them for a week. That makes me question your motives." I stated.

"I know." She replied, standing up from the couch.

I furrowed my eyebrows and watched as she walked to the door.

"Do you remember your interview? I told you that my community needed you and your people as bad as you needed us." She stated, turning to face me.

"I remember." I replied, nodding my head.

"This is where we need you." She replied, grabbing my hand. "You know the ins and outs of everything out there. Most of us in here have never been out there. We need people on our council who have seen what you have seen.."

I nodded my head and watched as she gave my hand a squeeze before leaving my house. I sighed and leaned against the wall, not sure what to even think.

I need to talk to Rick. Despite being in a new community, he's still our group's leader and knows what is best for us.

"Hey, hey!" Carol chirped as she closed the front door behind her.

"Hey. Thank you for the chili the other night. It was so good." I replied, giving her a hug.

"Of course. How are you adjusting?" She inquired.