Chapter 92

-

RICK's POV

-

I entered the living room and quietly lingered by the doorway after hearing Jessica talk to Magnolia.

"I'm trying for you." Jessica whispered to Magnolia.

I peeked over the couch, finding Jessica half asleep beside our baby with her back to me.

"Sometimes I wonder why God made me your mom. I'm grateful he did, but it doesn't benefit you. You deserve a good mother." She muttered.

I furrowed my eyebrows and took a step back, wondering why she was speaking the way she was. She's the best mom to our kids.

"I love you so much. I hope you know that." She whispered while breathing shakily.

The ache in my chest grew as I heard her sobbing quietly beside Magnolia. I quickly entered the hall and walked down to her room to get away before she realized I was there.

"Dammit." I hissed as I clenched my fists while pacing back and forth.

I stepped over to her bed and found her ring on the nightstand along with a bottle of pills. I picked the bottle up and spun it around to read the label.

Jessica Grimes
Fluoxetine 20mg; take once a day every morning
White Oak Memorial Hospital; Dr. Caxton

I returned the bottle down to her nightstand before stepping into the hall. I entered the living room, finding Jessica asleep beside our daughter before I walked down the other hall to find Carol.

I gently knocked on her bedroom door before hearing her feet against the floor from the other side.

"Rick?" She asked as she swung open the door.

"What's fluoxetine?" I asked as I let myself into her room.

"Fluoxetine?" She inquired as she furrowed her eyebrows.

"I found a bottle of pills in Jessica's room. What is it?" I inquired, feeling shaky as my mind raced with different thoughts.

Is she sick? What is she not telling me?

"I'm not sure." She answered as confusion covered her face.

"I'll wake her." I muttered as I moved to leave her room.

"No. Let her sleep. She hasn't slept in two nights." Carol hissed while wrapping her arm around my wrist. "You're not the only one struggling, Rick. Be easy on her." She added while staring into my eyes.

I quickly darted back out of her room before stepping back down the hall to the living room. I picked the blanket up from the recliner and unfolded it before briefly staring down at Jessica who had chill bumps covering her arms. My chest felt tight as I studied her tear stained cheeks, knowing I was the main cause for them.

I gently draped the blanket over her body before stepping away as she stirred in her sleep. I watched quietly as she pulled the blanket over her shoulder in her sleep before I sat down in the recliner.

Fluoxetine.

Where have I heard that?

Fluoxetine.

I sat back in the recliner and watched as Magnolia sighed and turned her head to face her mom before beginning to whimper. Jessica immediately jolted awake before placing her hand on Magnolia's chest.

"It's okay, baby." Jess whispered as she propped herself up on her elbow.

I sat quietly while Magnolia drifted back off to sleep with her tiny hand over Jessica's. Jessica sighed and relaxed down onto her side again before fixing her blanket with her back to me.