Chapter 55

-

I held Rick's watch in my hand and watched as the small hand passed eight.

"I don't even know where to look anymore." I told Abraham as he put another small piece of wood in the fire.

"Do you think he was really at the farm?" Abraham questioned as he sat down across from me.

"I don't necessarily think Davey was lying about that, but I don't know. We've been to both camps and all over these damn woods. There's nothing, no more clues. Where the hell am I supposed to look now?" I asked, looking to him.

"I wish I knew what to tell you." He replied.

"You and Negan head back to Hilltop tomorrow. I'm going to keep searching by the lake and then I'm going to head back." I replied, throwing a small twig into the fire.

"We came after you to help find Rick. We're not going back until you do." Abraham replied.

"I appreciate it, but I don't need or want your help." I stated.

"You're shit out of luck, then." He replied, standing up from the ground.

I sighed and pulled my knees up to my chest while gazing into the fire.

"Eat. You're eating for two now and you're barely eating enough for one of you to live." Abraham ordered, returning in front of me with rabbit meat.

I hesitantly took the food from him before beginning to take a bite of the cooked meat.

"I hated to hear about Denise." He stated.

"It was terrible." I muttered, remembering the look in her eyes when the arrow hit her.

"Aaron make it out?" He inquired.

"I don't know. We split up." I replied.

"You taking watch or me?" He questioned.

"I will. Try and get some rest. I'm wide awake, I won't be sleeping for awhile." I answered.

"I won't argue with you, then." He replied as he walked around me to get to our makeshift tent.

"How long are you going to keep searching?" Negan inquired as he sat down beside me.

"I don't know. I don't know what to do after tomorrow. I don't know where I'm supposed to look anymore. I've been to both camps, we've been to the farm... if he's not around the lake then I don't know." I rambled as I tossed another twig into the fire.

"What if he's not?" He asked.

"Then I guess we head back to Hilltop." I stated, our eyes briefly meeting.

"Maybe he's on his way back there." He replied.

"I hope." I muttered, studying the softness in his eyes.

"He's lucky to have you and he needs to realize that." He replied, standing up.

I furrowed my eyebrows and watched as he picked up another piece of wood to throw into the fire.

"He does. He tells me all the time." I stated, growing defensive.

"He tells you." He replied, laughing at my response.

"Yes." I replied, furrowing my eyebrows.

"He left you to go take care of something that hurt his pride. He left you worried sick to the point you go out searching for him on your own. You throw yourself and his unborn baby in danger trying to find him to bring him back home. What's wrong with that picture?" He asked, tilting his head to the side.