Chapter 56

-

"Did you find dad?" Carl asked as I entered the gates at Hilltop.

"Yes. He will be home in two days." I answered.

"Great." He grumbled before turning and walking away.

"He didn't come back with you?" Maggie inquired as she took my heavy backpack from me.

"No, of course he didn't." I replied as her eyes studied mine.

"She tried her best." Abraham stated, giving me a pat on the shoulder as he walked by.

"I found Aaron, Jessie, and Denise at the first camp. Denise and Jessie didn't make it out." I told Maggie as we began walking toward the farmhouse.

"That's terrible." She sighed.

"Yeah." I mumbled, remembering the look on Denise's face when she died.

"Sounds like a hell of a week. Come on, dinner is cooking up." She ordered, grabbing my hand.

"Thank God you're okay." Carol sighed, throwing her arms around my neck as I entered the house. I felt tears immediately prick my eyes as she held me tightly.

"Did you find Rick?" Carol inquired as she pulled away.

With that question, tears began falling from my eyes and I quickly made my way down the hallway.

I stepped into the bathroom and closed the door behind me before turning the lock. I ignored my reflection in the mirror as I began stripping my dirty, bloody clothes off.

Once I turned the water on to the shower, tears began flowing from my eyes as the sound of the water hid my sobs.

Why couldn't he had just come home with me?

I feel like an idiot for going out and leaving the kids to find him to come home without him.

I feel sick over Denise's death. Hell, I feel a bit bad over Jessie.

"Jess, there are some clean clothes out here for you. I'm sitting them by the door." Carol stated, after knocking on the door.

I finished showering before stepping out and wrapping a towel around my cold, wet body.

After taking the clothes Carol laid out for me, I quickly pulled them on and towel dried my hair. I combed through the rats nest before braiding it back out of my face.

I walked down the hall, hearing Judith crying from the living room.

"She's exhausted." Carol stated as I entered the room.

"What's the matter baby?" I asked, kneeling down in front of the couch Judith was lying on.

"Where's daddy?" Judith asked, looking at me with glassy eyes.

"Guess what? Daddy will be home in two days!" I exclaimed, trying to smile as her eyes studied my face.

"I want daddy!" She replied, frowning as tears pooled in her eyes.

"I know you do, baby, but before you know it he's gonna back!" I replied, rubbing her back as she wrapped her tiny arms around my neck.

"All she has done is ask for him." Carol stated, frowning from across the dimly-lit living room.

"I know." I muttered as Judith's cries turned into sobs.

"It's heartbreaking." She replied, flipping to another page in the magazine she was reading.

I struggled as I stood up from the couch with Judith in my arms before making my way down the hallway. I entered the vacant bedroom and quietly closed the door behind me before laying down in the bed with Judith.