Chapter 90

-

I leaned against the wall outside of Judith's room and listened as Rick read her a bedtime story.

"That's so funny!" Judith squealed between laughs.

"Again!" Judith ordered him.

"We've read this book three times, baby. It's time to go to bed." Rick replied.

I peeked inside, watching as he leaned over and pressed his lips to her forehead.

"Daddy?" Judith asked.

"What?" Rick inquired.

"Am I going to have another mommy?" She questioned.

"No. What makes you think that?" Rick asked.

"Bubby said you and mommy broke up." She answered, the tone of her voice sounding hurt.

I watched as Rick sat the book on her table before signing and leaning forward.

"Your mommy loves you very much. No matter what happens between me and her, she's always gonna be your mommy." Rick explained while brushing her hair out of her face.

"Promise?" Judith asked.

I blinked away my tears and watched as Rick pressed his lips to her forehead.

"I promise. Now get some sleep, you had a big, crazy day." Rick ordered.

"Good. I love my mommy." She replied.

Rick stood up from her bed and pulled her covers over her and I quickly darted away from the door.

"You love mommy too?" She asked. I stopped walking away and waited for his response.

"Yes, I love her." He answered.

I quickly walked down the hall way and entered the living room before sitting down on Rick's sofa. I rubbed my eyes and tried to distract myself from the pain in my chest.

"Dammit." I mumbled as I lied back.

"Judith said she isn't sleeping until you come tell her goodnight." Rick sighed as he entered the living room.

"Oh, okay." I replied, laughing as I stood up from the couch.

I walked down the hall and entered Judith's room before sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"I love you, mommy." Judith stated, smiling up at me.

"I love you most." I replied as I poked her nose.

"Will you read me this book?" She inquired.

"This one?" I asked, pointing to the one Rick had just read to her.

"Yes! We've never read this one." She answered.

Liar.

After reading her the book, I watched as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

"Good night, Judith. I love you." I muttered as I pressed my lips to her forehead.

"Mommy?" She questioned as her eyes fluttered open.

"Yes, baby?" I asked.

"Will you always be my mommy?" She inquired, her eyes glued to mine.

"As long as you want me to be, baby." I answered as I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I want you to be my mommy forever. I don't ever want another mommy." She replied, frowning.

"Then I'll always be your mommy. Forever and ever." I stated, watching as her frown turned into a smile.