Chapter 94

TW: discussion of depression

-

"This weather is refreshing." Maggie sighed while we walked through the woods.

"Agreed." Glenn replied from behind me.

"And why do we need to expand our walls here?" Tara asked Maggie who was beside me.

"We need more room. Once we get the expansion done we will put the goats here for a while and let them chew down this brush." Maggie explained while she scoped out the area.

"Less work for us." Glenn replied.

"And more food for them." I added.

"Where do you want the new guard stands?" Rick inquired.

"One at this end and the other at the south end." Maggie answered.

"Hello?"

I immediately spun around with my pistol in my hands and found a young kid standing with her hands up.

"Where did you come from?" Maggie asked.

I lowered my gun and glanced around for anyone else with her.

"My sister.. she's dead." She stated, tears streaming down her cheeks and clearly distraught.

"What happened?" Maggie inquired.

"She got bit. She told me about this place and told me to run as fast as I could. Please help me." She begged while taking a step forward.

"Who's your sister and how did she know about this place?" I asked while studying her appearance. She seemed to be around the age of eight, maybe nine. Her blonde hair was tangled in matts and dirt was caked on her skin.

"Josie. We saw a sign. We were on our way here to find a group we could be with since our uncle and brother died. We have— I have no one now." She answered.

"You have us." I replied, watching as her eyes moved to mine.

"What's your name, sweetie?" I asked.

"Aubrey Posey." She answered while sniffling.

"Do you have any weapons with you?" Rick inquired.

"A knife." She replied while putting her hand into her pocket.

"Hand it over." Rick ordered while stepping forward.

I watched closely as she reached behind her back before whipping out a 38 special and pointing it at Rick.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Put the gun down." Maggie ordered. I aimed my gun at Aubrey's head, hoping she wouldn't do anything else stupid.

"You can have your weapons back once we're in the walls." Rick told her while holding his hands up in defense.

"Aubrey, I know you're scared. You don't know us and you don't trust us. I would be the same way, but we're not going to hurt you." Maggie explained.

"I know how this goes!" Aubrey yelled, her demeanor changing by the second.

"Aubrey—"

"I've heard this before. You're just like the ones who took my brother!" She screamed while interrupting Rick.

She screamed again while putting her finger around the trigger of her pistol. I squeezed the trigger on mine in immediate response without a second thought and watched as her frail body hit the ground.

I froze, realizing what I had done while staring at the blood and brain matter on the tree that was behind her.

My heart pounded in my chest as my eyes moved to the small girl on the ground with her eyes wide open and empty.