Chapter 74

Rick's POV

-

"Rick, you did everything you could." Carol muttered as she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't. Don't give me that shit." I snapped, pushing her hand off of me.

"Rick, you can't think like that." Tara mumbled with tears staining her cheeks.

"It's been almost an hour and a half. Something isn't right." I replied.

"Rick?" Janet asked, entering the waiting room with a blank expression.

"Yes?" I asked, quickly approaching her.

"I'm sorry.." She began before clearing her throat.

"No." I replied, shaking my head.

"No, honey, no. I was trying to say I'm sorry I didn't get to come get you before the surgery began. She's okay. Jessica and baby made it through. Baby girl is in the neonatal intensive care unit because she's early, and mom is doing fantastic in recovery. Wanna come with me to meet baby girl?" She asked, a bright smile crossing her lips.

I inhaled a deep breath, the feeling of faintness leaving me with the news.

"Thank God!" Carol cried out.

"Wait, a girl?" I asked, following Janet down the hall.

"Sometimes ultrasounds can be incorrect." Janet replied with a smile.

"I want to see Jessica first." I stated.

"I figured you would." She replied, giving me another smile.

My heart pounded in my throat as we walked down the hall by the operating room.

"I have other good news, but you can see that for yourself." Janet stated as she opened the door before leading me into the small recovery room.

"Jessica, sweetheart, are you up for some company?" Janet asked as she stepped around the closed curtain. I quickly followed, finding Jessica somewhat awake in her bed, still hooked up to many monitors.

"Hey." Jessica muttered, her eyes trying to stay open as she looked at me.

"I'll be right back." Janet whispered as she patted my arm while stepping by me.

"How do you feel?" I asked, finding myself shaking uncontrollably as I stood beside her bed.

"Rough." She muttered as I placed my hand over hers.

"We have a baby girl, Jess." I stated, watching as a few tears escaped her eyes.

"I know." She whispered, a small laugh leaving her lips with tears streaming down her cheeks.

I sat down on the edge of her bed before taking her head in my hands.

"I love you. I never told you enough, I never showed you enough, I never proved it to you enough." I stated, feeling tears pooling in my eyes again.

"I don't care... about the past anymore." She muttered, her voice weak as she spoke.

"I know you're tired. Get some rest. I'm not leaving. I'll be right here." I replied, quickly wiping away the tears.

"Can you go see the baby.. please?" She asked, her eyes closing for a few seconds.

"I can." I replied, nodding my head.