Chapter 26

-

I walked down the dimly lit street, glancing up at Spencer who was headed my way.

"You're not at the meeting about Rick?" Spencer asked, stopping right before we passed.

"No. It's pointless." I answered, shoving my hands in my coat pockets.

"Well, as the emergency management director I figured you would be there." He replied, our eyes meeting.

"I don't start until tomorrow." I replied.

"Ah. Lucky you." He replied.

"Yeah." I muttered, looking away from him.

"Look, I'm very sorry about everything I was involved in. That's all I have to say. I have no excuses." He stated.

"I appreciate it." I replied.

"Well, unfortunately for me I have to go to the meeting." He replied, sighing.

"Have fun listening to a bunch of people give their opinions on something they have no idea about." I replied, walking by him.

"I won't." He replied.

I continued walking down the street, hesitating in front of Jessie's house before deciding to follow through and go talk to her.

I climbed the steps and stopped in front of the front door before knocking several times.

"Go away." Pete demanded, surprising me as he opened the door.

"Where's Jessie?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. Deanna ordered Pete to stay at another house. What is he doing here?

"My guess is she's at the meeting." He slurred, stepping out onto the porch.

"Where are you going? You're plastered." I replied, the smell of alcohol burning my nose.

"Going to say my piece like everyone else." He spat, walking by me.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I stated. I gulped, watching as he quickly turned around and pushed me against the side of the house.

"Why?" He asked, his breath reeking of alcohol.

"Because you're wasted and angry. I don't see a conversation going very well." I answered, trying to stay calm.

"What did you come here for?" He asked, putting his forearm against my clavicle.

"I came to talk to Jessie." I answered, trying to shake the fear I felt.

"Why?" He interrogated.

"To ask her about helping me with a meeting for the emergency management stuff." I lied, looking into his cold, dark, terrifying eyes.

"You stay the hell away from us." He ordered, pushing my shoulders back as he stepped away from me.

"Piece of shit. Think you're a big man hitting women and making life miserable for your family!" I yelled, losing my temper.

"You're just pissed because everyone is finding out exactly who you are and people are finally putting a stop to it." I snapped, watching as he turned around again and cornered me against the house.

Maybe I should've kept my mouth shut.

I gasped, feeling an extremely sharp, burning pain in my stomach just above my belly button. I looked down at my stomach, finding him pulling the blade of his knife out of my body.

I stood frozen and watched as he ran off of the porch and ran up the street toward the armory. I gasped again, watching as blood seeped from the wound.