Chapter 20

-

"Jessica? Wake up."

I slowly opened my eyes, finding myself staring at the ceiling.

"What happened?" I asked, looking to Deanna who was hovering over me.

"Jessica, you passed out." Deanna stated while Rick slowly helped me raise up.

"Let's get her to the infirmary." Deanna ordered Rick.

"No!" I refused, shaking my head.

"Jessica, you passed out for a reason. We need to figure out what's going on." Deanna replied.

"I'm fine. See?" I replied, standing up.

"She's fine." Rick stated.

"I'll feel better if you at least allow Denise to see you. Is it okay if she comes here?" Deanna inquired, looking to me.

"Who's Denise?" Rick inquired.

"She's our doctor. She's wonderful." Deana answered.

"That's fine." Rick answered.

"No—"

"Wonderful. I'll send her up." Deanna replied.

"Come on, sit on the couch." Rick ordered me, holding onto my arm.

"I'm fine. Damn, can't a girl pass out around here?" I grumbled, slowly walking into the living room.

"You're like, really pale." Maggie stated as I walked by her.

"I'm fine." I replied, waving her off.

"Here." Carol replied, handing me a glass of water.

I slowly took a few sips before sitting the glass down on the coffee table.

"I think I just got really overwhelmed." I stated, glancing at all the worried faces around me.

"I take it you're not a party person." Glenn joked.

I glanced to the front door, hearing several knocks.

"Hello! I'm Denise. Deanna said I was needed to check-out Jessica." A blonde woman with glasses stated after Carol opened the door.

"I'm fine, really. I got overwhelmed." I told her.

"Do you mind if I assess you?" She inquired.

"No." I sighed.

"What are your symptoms?" She asked as she sat a medical bag down on the coffee table.

"Just a little dizzy." I answered as she placed a pulse-oximeter on my finger.

"Any pain?" She inquired.

"No." I replied.

"Pulse is slightly elevated." She muttered.

I watched as she grabbed my hand and pinched my finger before letting go.

"You are dehydrated." She declared.

"So that made her pass out?" Rick asked.

"Most likely. Notice how her skin doesn't return to its shape when I press here? That's a little test you can do to check for dehydration." She answered, pinching the skin on my finger again.

"Today I need you to rest and drink plenty of fluids." Denise stated, wrapping a blood pressure cuff around my arm.

"I rest when I'm asleep." I replied.

"If you don't listen to my orders you will end up in the infirmary— which is exactly where you didn't want to go. So... maybe you should rest." She replied, giving me a smile.