Chapter 84

-

"You're right." I told Rick as I continued to look into his eyes.

"I've gotta go." He stated, taking a step back.

"I'm sorry, Rick." I apologized, feeling like my heart was going to come right out of my throat.

"I wasn't good for us either. It wasn't just you." He replied, taking a step forward again.

"I do love you. I know you know I do." I replied.

"I know. I love you." He replied, briefly placing his hand on my cheek.

I nodded my head and felt a couple tears fall from my eyes as he turned away and walked down the hall. My heart hurt so bad I thought I was going to faint.

I quickly followed him down the hall and outside before stopping at the door. He stopped at the steps and looked out at the field before turning to face me.

"So is this it for us?" I questioned.

"How many times do we have to try before we get it right? We're constantly going in circles." He asked, looking into my eyes.

"I don't know." I replied, feeling more tears fall from my eyes.

I backed into the door, feeling my heart tear in two as he walked down the porch steps.

"Wait." I ordered, quickly running down the steps to him.

He turned around and I quickly held his cheeks with my hands and pressed my lips to his. My heart ached as I thought about the first time we kissed, full of desire, infatuation, and happiness.

This time it was full of sadness, regrets, disappointment, and what-ifs.

"You saying goodbye?" He asked after I pulled away.

"Are you?" I asked.

"I don't want to." He replied.

"But you are." I muttered, wiping my tears with my hand.

"I don't have a choice." He stated, backing away from me.

I crossed my arms and held them tightly against my torso as he turned and walked away. More tears escaped my eyes as I watched him talk to Carl and Judith.

"I'm so sorry." Maggie whispered, her arms going around me.

"I don't think I'm going to see him again, Maggie. I feel it." I stated, looking straight ahead at Rick, Carl, and Judith.

"It's gonna be okay. He'll be okay." She replied, rubbing my back.

"I feel so stupid." I stated, turning to look at her.

-

"Here. Look like you need one." Daryl stated, offering me a cigarette as he sat down on the porch step.

I placed it between my lips and took the lighter from him before lighting the butt of the cigarette.

"Never thought we'd end like we have." I muttered before taking the cigarette between my middle and index finger.

"Who says it's the end?" He asked, leaning his back against the porch railing.

I shrugged my shoulders and sat back into the plastic chair.

"We both kinda came to that conclusion." I told him before placing the cigarette between my lips.

"Y'all don't make any damn sense." He stated.

"He spoke to Magnolia like he wouldn't see her for a long time, if that. He was so sure of it, too." I replied, tapping the ashes off the cigarette.

"He's gonna be fine. I'm sure he'll find a way to get out of that mess." He replied.