Chapter 91

-

I sat down at the dining table beside Judith and across from Rick as an awkward silence fell upon us.

"How did everyone sleep?" Carol asked as she sat on the other side of me.

"Good!" Judith exclaimed.

"Good." Carol replied.

I picked at the scrambled eggs on my plate before bringing a bite to my mouth.

"So, what's on the agenda today?" Carol inquired.

"Finishing the shell on the cabins." Maggie answered from beside Rick.

"Ambitious." Carol commented.

I glanced across the table to Rick who had a bruise under his swollen, right eye along with bruises on his jaw.

"Rick?" Carol inquired.

"What?" He asked, looking to her.

"What happened to you?" She questioned. My eyes quickly darted to his right hand where his knuckles appeared bloody and bruised.

I furrowed my eyebrows and quickly glanced to Maggie who was already staring at me.

"It doesn't matter." Rick replied.

I looked down at my cold, rubbery eggs and forced another bite into my mouth.

"Jess, you've not said one word this morning." Carol stated.

"Just tired." I mumbled.

"Tired of what? You didn't get much sleep did you?" Rick asked, making me want to crawl under the table and hide.

"Rick." Maggie mumbled.

"I'm so glad everyone's in a good mood today." Carol muttered sarcastically.

"I'm so glad too!" Judith replied innocently.

I remained silent and chose to bite my tongue as I poked around at the eggs on my plate.

"Jess, do you wanna help me with staining the porch today?" Carol inquired.

"Sure." I replied, briefly glancing to her.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay? You're pale." She asked while a concerned expression covered her face.

"Yea—"

"Negan must have kept her up last night." Rick answered, interrupting me while using a hateful tone. I placed my fork in my plate and looked across the table at him while I scooted my chair out from the table.

"Drop it." Maggie ordered Rick.

I stood up from the chair and pushed it under the table before picking up my plate and setting it on the kitchen counter before storming out the back door.

"Woah. You good?" Tara asked as she approached me from the barn.

"I'm fine." I spat.

"Liar!" She declared.

"Tara, I'm actually going to lose my mind. Please stop." I begged while pacing back and forth.

"Is this about Rick beating Negan's ass? Cause he deserved it." She inquired as she crossed her arms.

"He what?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"You didn't know?" She inquired.

"No." I snapped.

"They got into it and then next thing I know Rick is busting his mouth." She explained, her eyes on mine.

"That's none of his fucking business. We aren't together. He has no right to meddle in my life anymore." I spat.