Chapter 54

-

"Where are you going?" Carol asked as I zipped my backpack up.

"I'm going after Rick." I replied as I pulled my backpack straps over my shoulders.

"But you don't know where he's at." Carol replied, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I'm checking a couple places. I have the map he gave Daryl of the second Savage camp. I'll find him." I replied.

"It's been a week. He could be anywhere." She replied, following me out of the house.

"I said I'll find him." I replied, sternly.

"You don't need to be alone out there, especially being pregnant. Anything could happen—"

"Carol, I appreciate your concern, but I'm fine. Thank you for watching over Carl and Judith." I replied, interrupting her.

"And what do we do if you go missing?" She asked.

"I won't." I replied as I glanced to Negan who was listening to our conversation from the porch.

"You better bring your stubborn ass back here. Along with Rick's." She ordered as she gave me a stern look.

"No worries, I will." I replied as I turned around and made my way out of Hilltop.

My heart was heavy to leave Carl and Judith, but they are safe here. I have to find Rick— for them and myself.

-

"Fucker." I mumbled, stepping over a dead Savage as I walked through their camp.

I felt my stomach drop, hearing muffled screaming from the box trailer to the right of me.

I quickly raised my rifle and slowly stepped toward it, feeling my heart literally beat in my throat as I broke the lock off of the door.

I raised the door before coming face to face with Denise, Aaron, and Jessie who were gagged and had their wrists and ankles restrained.

"Oh my God. How long have you been in here?" I asked, quickly lowering my rifle and cutting the zip ties off of Aaron's wrists before moving to Denise.

"One day. One, long, damn day. Before that we were separated." Denise answered after pulling the rag from her mouth.

"We need to get out of these damn woods." Jessie stated, following me out of the trailer.

"You guys head to Hilltop. They'll be happy to see you." I ordered as I quickly unzipped my backpack.

I pulled out the last of the homemade granola bars and two bottles of filtered water before handing them out.

"It's not much but hopefully you can ration it out until you get to Hilltop." I told Aaron.

"Why aren't you there?" Denise inquired.

"I'm going after Rick. He left a week ago to find the rest of the Savages. He said he found their second camp and that's where I'm heading." I answered.

"I'll go with you. You shouldn't be alone in these woods with these Savages prowling around. There aren't many, maybe a small group, but still.. it's not safe." Aaron replied.

"Actually, the best advantage I have is being alone. It's less noise, less attention drawn to me. I'll be okay." I replied.

"Be careful." Aaron ordered before giving me a quick embrace.

"You guys too." I mumbled, pulling away.

"Well, it's good to see you, but I don't do well outside if a walled community. So I'll save the chit chat for later." Denise replied. I laughed and threw my arms around her before glancing to Jessie who was standing off to herself.