Chapter 80

-

"White Oak is on complete lock down." I told Carl as I stepped up onto the porch beside him.

"Is dad okay?" He asked.

"I'm assuming so. They had roadblocks within a mile of White Oak. Wouldn't let anyone through." I answered.

"Couldn't you go through the woods?" He inquired.

"Soldiers are standing guard all around." I answered.

"So why won't he respond?" He questioned.

"I'm guessing he no longer has a way to." I stated.

"Guess so." He mumbled.

I entered the house and walked into the living room, finding Carol playing with Judith in the floor.

"You know, I was sitting here thinking... I don't know when I became the babysitter instead of fighting out there with you all, but I like this a lot better." Carol stated, smiling at me and Maggie.

"We like it too, Carol." Glenn stated before laughing.

"How long has she been asleep?" I asked Carol as I gazed down at my baby girl.

"About ten minutes." She replied.

I nodded my head and slowly walked down the hallway with Magnolia in my arms. I entered Carol's room and slowly laid Magnolia down in her bassinet. I sighed and studied my beautiful baby girl while she slept peacefully.

My heart ached at the thought of something happening to Rick. We've had our troubles, probably more than the average couple, but I love him with every part of me, and I know he loves me the same.

"Hey, I just wanted to make sure you're okay." Maggie mumbled from the hallway.

"I'm okay." I muttered, stepping out of the room to talk to her.

"I'm sure he's fine. As soon as the lockdown is lifted I'm sure he'll be here." She replied.

I nodded my head in agreement and leaned against the wall.

"I never thanked you for naming Magnolia after me. That meant everything to me. I want you to know that you aren't just my best friend, you're my sister." She explained as tears covered her eyes.

"Likewise." I replied, feeling a lump form in my throat.

"Let's change the subject before we turn into an emotional wreck." She replied, laughing.

"Let's." I agreed, laughing as we walked down the hall.

"Negan, that's infected. Bad." Maggie gasped, her eyes landing on Negan's arm that got sliced by Gage.

I stepped closer to study the inflamed cut and noticed the drainage oozing out in spots.

"Are you feeling okay?" I inquired, looking up at him.

"I'm fine, damn. Just need to clean it." He answered, waving me and Maggie off.

"You need an antibiotic." I stated, wrapping my hand around his wrist to stop him from moving so I could inspect it.

"Did you become a doctor overnight?" He asked, pulling his arm from my hand. I rolled my eyes at his attitude and sat down at the kitchen table.

-

I walked out onto the porch and the cold, night air immediately cut through my body like a sword. I walked over to the end of the porch and watched as Negan leaned on the railings.