Chapter 39

-

"Morning." I greeted Spencer as I opened the front door of my home.

"Hey, Jess." He replied.

"I'm so sorry about your mom." I replied, genuinely apologetic for his loss.

"She went out the way she wanted to.. fighting for this place." He replied, tears pooling in his eyes.

"Do you want to come in?" I inquired.

"I just wanted to put everything behind us. I'm sorry for every time I've hurt you or let you down. You never know when your last breath will be and I don't want to regret not making things right with the people I've hurt." He replied.

"Hey, I agree. We're good. We're friends." I stated.

"Okay." He muttered, avoiding eye contact.

"You got a second?" I asked, stepping out onto the porch.

"Yeah?" He asked, our eyes meeting as he turned back around.

"I'm proud of you. You've been put through Hell lately and you're still getting up every day. I know what that's like. It won't be like this forever. Remember that." I replied, stepping forward and embracing him.

Spencer wasn't my favorite person, but I do care for him in a friendly way. I feel for him.

"Thank you." He replied, his voice cracking.

"Keep going. It's all gonna be okay one day." I muttered, pulling away.

He nodded his head and stepped off of the porch before walking down the street. I walked into the kitchen, watching as Rick fed Judith applesauce.

"Hey." Rick greeted, surprising me by speaking to me first.

"Hey. Whatcha up to today?" I asked, leaning against the counter.

"Going to Hilltop with Maggie to meet with their leader." He answered.

"Hilltop?" I asked.

"They are our sister community." He replied.

"Another community?" I inquired.

"Yeah. Wanna go?" He asked, our eyes meeting.

"Yeah. I'd love to." I answered.

"You don't have to go in with guns blazing, either. They're our ally." He replied.

"You make me seem like I'm a terrorist or something." I joked.

I watched as he smiled and shook his head as he spooned up the last bit of Judith's applesauce.

"You're in a better mood. Did you get some last night?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, actually. I don't have to get some to be in a decent mood, like you do." He replied.

"Oh, okay." I replied, taking a drink of water.

"You know what? I take back the invite." He replied, moving Judith off of the counter.

"No you don't." I replied, smirking.

-

"You're coming?" I asked Spencer who approached me, Tara, Maggie, Daryl, Aaron, Abraham, and Rick.

"I don't want to but Maggie invited me." Spencer answered.

"Ah, come on. It'll be nice to get out of here for a while." I replied.