Chapter 7

-

"Coffee?" I slowly opened my eyes and found Brian entering the bedroom with a cup of hot coffee.

"Please." I replied, propping myself up on my elbow.

"What would you like for breakfast?" He inquired.

"I just woke up. Besides, what are you doing? It's nine-thirty. Shouldn't you be... out there?"I muttered, taking the mug from him.

"We're about to head out. I wanted to spend a little time with you before I leave." He replied.

"Oh." I mumbled, slowly taking a sip of the coffee. "Head out?" I inquired.

"We're gonna scout some areas out. I should be back by dinner." He replied.

"Okay." I mumbled.

"You're so beautiful when you wake up. Lips puffy, cheeks red, hair a mess... just beautiful." He muttered, studying my face.

"Thank you, but if you're trying to win brownie points back from last night— no." I replied, setting the coffee cup down on the nightstand.

"Ahh, stubborn woman." He replied, rubbing my knee.

I'm highly uncomfortable. He's being too nice. Maybe I shouldn't have drank the coffee.

"I was wondering though, would you want to come with us?" He asked.

"Sure." I answered.

"Good. It'll be just like old times." He replied, squeezing my thigh. I forced a smile and nodded my head as he stood up from the bed.

"Give me thirty minutes and I'll be ready." I ordered.

I watched as he left the room and quickly got out of bed to get ready. I stepped out of the shower, hearing a loud crash from the opposite side of the house. Shrugging it off, I dried my hair and put on clean clothes.

Nearly jumping out of my skin, I heard the most awful screaming from outside the bedroom.

"Brian?" I asked, running out into the living room.

"No!" He screamed, holding his eye.

"Oh my God! What happened?" I yelled, running to him as he dropped to his knees. Blood covered his hand and dripped down his cheek, causing me to go into a panic.

"Oh God!" I replied, grabbing his walkie-radio off of his belt. I glanced into what I originally thought was a storage room, and found a little girl laying limp on the floor— the same girl from the photos in the living room. His daughter.

"Martinez! Get here now. Bring Dr. Stevens!" I yelled into the walkie.

-

I slowly stepped into Brian's home behind him, helping him inside.

"Shut the door." He ordered me.

"I did." I replied, holding onto his arm.

"No. Shut that door!" He replied, raising his voice. I quickly moved to the open door beside us, and nearly threw up from seeing what was in front of me. Quickly scanning my eyes around the room, I shut the door and was left with the scene replaying in my brain.