Chapter 113

-

"Daddy!" Judith squealed as she ran down the hill to Rick who was making his way toward us with Carol.

"I'm so glad you're okay." I told Carol as I stepped off of the porch and helped her balance as she slowly walked up the steps.

"Me too." She replied while I helped her to the top step.

"Hey." Rick greeted me after I opened the door for Carol.

"Hey." I breathed before he pressed his lips to mine.

"How are you feeling?" He asked while looking into my eyes.

"Fine." I answered while nodding my head.

I stepped back out of his way as he entered the house with Judith right on his heels.

"How's White Oak coming along?" Glenn asked as I closed the door behind us.

"It's coming. We're screening all citizens, interviewing more witnesses from the attack, and we're cleaning everything up." Rick answered while Daryl entered the room.

"And I need you as my Vice." Rick told Maggie while pointing to her.

"Me?" Maggie asked while raising her eyebrows.

"Yes." He answered.

"Why me?" She questioned.

"Look what you've done with this place. You're a strong leader and I need you there. I need all of you there." He replied while glancing around the room.

"I don't know if that's something I'm interested in." Maggie replied while briefly glancing to Glenn who appeared to be pondering on the idea.

I furrowed my eyebrows, really not sure what Rick was getting at. Does he think I'd stay at White Oak if everyone else was there?

"Will you think about it?" Rick asked her.

"She'll think about it." Glenn answered for her. I looked to Maggie who glanced to me before shooting a look to Glenn.

"I'm not going back to White Oak." Carl stated, his tone sharp and snappy.

"You don't have a choice." Rick replied while looking to him.

"I'll stay with Jess. She doesn't want to go back either." Carl replied while looking to me to speak up.

"You're coming back and that's final." Rick snapped.

I looked to Carl who stormed out of the house before slamming the door behind him.

"I think it's because of Mallory." I told Rick as he looked to me with questioning eyes.

"Mallory?" He asked while furrowing his eyebrows.

"His girlfriend." I answered.

"I'll be honest. I'm all in for White Oak." Carol stated while glancing at all of us.

"How do you know another attack won't happen?" Glenn questioned.

"I don't, but that's why we're screening everyone, sweeping houses, and training our law enforcement and military." Rick answered.

"What about Easton? What are you doing about them?" Glenn inquired.

"Had a meeting with them yesterday. They're aware White Oak is under new authority and we have settled all conflicts." Rick replied while looking to me as if that would make me change my mind.

"Hell, we can't promise an inside attack wouldn't happen here." Carol stated while leaning back on the couch.

"That's true." Glenn agreed while looking to Maggie.