The Hearing Part Three

Author's Note: You folks are fantastic. Thank you for your continued support with this series. All of your reviews, likes, kudos, and messages are wonderful!

Content Warning: This chapter contains scenes of violence as our beloved crew works to help defend this sector from a Cardassian advancement.

This story is AU. Please suspend your disbelief re: canon for a fun wee character cameo in this instalment.

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can like/follow at charliefenwick.com or @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

----------

"The messages are sent," Tasha informed Captain Davies. "Now we wait and see if the blockade begins to break."

"What is this for?" Davies asked as Tasha handed him an older style hand communicator.

"I reworked the system and adjusted the frequency," Tasha explained. "It only has a range of about 350 metres but that should be enough between here and the runabouts."

"And we can use the sensors on the runabouts to see if any of the Cardassian ships took the bait," Davies said as he finished Tasha's train of thought.

During the preparation, Davies had assigned three of his crew to monitor the Cardassian patrols. Unfortunately, they had observed the Cardassian patrols were operating on a sweep pattern that varied.

Sometimes, there were six-minute intervals between sweeps. Other times, almost fifteen minutes would pass. In some instances, it was as little as four minutes or as long as twenty minutes.

It would make getting the survivors to the runabouts a difficult task.

Tasha and Davies decided it would be best to take the survivors in small groups to avoid Cardassian patrols. They could duck into rooms or access points along the route as needed.

They only had five of the communicators. Davies decided one would remain in their hiding space, and one would go to the runabout with Commander Elliot.

Commander Elliot would remain on the runabout and watch for any patrols from that position.

Two of the crewmen were stationed in hiding positions on opposite sides of the deck. They'd report in as the patrols passed to ensure they could safely shuttle groups to the runabouts.

Finally, the last communicator would be carried by the person shuttling the groups to the runabouts.

Davies felt it was his responsibility to leads these groups.

"Commander," Tasha said as she caught Elliot's arm on the way out of the hiding space. "Thank you."

"My pleasure, Lieutenant," he replied.

Tasha flashed him a warm smile. Elliot wasn't a soldier – he was a Starfleet officer trained in legal scholarship, not defence. He was taking a great risk in stepping outside of his comfort zone to help them.

"Good luck, sir," Tasha said before Davies and Elliot set off with the first group.

----------

It took nearly twenty minutes for the first group to reach the runabout.

As soon as they slipped inside, Davies and Elliot set to work at the sensors.

Davies handed Elliot his phaser rifle.

"Watch the door," Davies said as he slipped into the helm and began to type away at the sensors.