The Hearing Part Two

Author's Note: Thank you for your continued support with this series. All of your reviews, likes, kudos, and messages are wonderful!

Content Warning: This chapter contains scenes of violence as our beloved crew works to help defend this sector from a Cardassian advancement.

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can like/follow at charliefenwick.com or @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

-----------

"Sir, another ship has dropped out of warp," Worf advised from the Tactical position. "It appears to be another Keldon class ship. Shields are at eighty-three percent and holding."

The Enterprise had engaged a contingent of Keldon class ships approximately two hours earlier.

It was nearly 13:00 hours and the ship had been hopping across the sector in pursuit of the Cardassian fleet for almost a day.

"It's like they don't know what they want to do," Riker said. 

Indeed, it did seem to appear there was confusion or disagreement in the Cardassian chain of command.

When they had first encountered the fleet, it had been sizable. There was a mix of larger Cardassian Galor class cruisers and Keldon class warships.

However, once they had engaged the fleet, it seemed many of the Galor class ships had turned back for the Cardassian border.

Whether this was due the individual Gul's decided it wasn't worth the fight, or orders from Cardassia Prime – they didn't know.

Either way, there were a handful of Keldon ships that remained and were intensely holding their own against Starfleet's meagre show of force.

In addition to the Enterprise, Admiral Walsh's ship the USS Shepard had joined them along with the Farragut, Lexington, Repulse, and Sutherland.

They'd been dancing across the sector as they chased the Cardassians back toward their own territory.

They'd been hitting the Cardassians with enough force to damage their ships, but the Keldon class ships were no match for the Enterprise and the Shepard.

As Galaxy-class cruisers they could have made quick work of the smaller Cardassian vessels now that the heavy Galor cruisers had retreated.

"I grow weary of playing chase," Worf said.

"I won't escalate this conflict," Picard replied.

Data turned around in his chair at Operations.

"Perhaps that is what they are counting on, sir," Data theorised aloud. "A strategy designed to draw us into conflict - not with the goal of defeat, but rather, intended to keep us occupied."

Captain Picard and Commander Riker exchanged a glance.

"A distraction?" Picard questioned as he tapped his chin.

"For what purpose?" Riker asked.

"Unknown at this time," Data replied. "One possibility could be to draw us closer to the Cardassian border. Another could be to pull us further from Federation population centres. Cardassian war strategy relies heavily on the capture of prisoners and populated areas."

Captain Picard leaned forward in his chair as he considered Data's hypothesis.

"Cardassians take hostages in the expectation that the Federation will capitulate to their demands to avoid any loss of life," Data explained. "It is a tactic they have employed successfully with Fregnauot II, Tesnia, and various battles along the Delta Sector border."