Promises Made...

Author's Note: Annnnnnnd we're back!

The next few chapters will wrap up this Enterprise-C tie in and set the stage for the conclusion of the Conspiracy arc.

As a reminder, in this series the Enterprise-D launched prior to 2364. There's approximately a year of time between Encounter At Farpoint and The Naked Now.

Thank you for sticking with this story and all of your support!

All my love,

Charlie

-X-

10:30 came too quickly.

Picard felt like he'd barely shut his eyes before he had to be up again to deal with this latest crisis.

Or rather, this latest series of crises.

Starfleet was breathing down his neck.

The Romulans were too close for comfort.

And the team was starting to ask dangerous questions.

All casual chatter stopped the minute Jean-Luc strolled onto the Observation Lounge with Richard Castillo and the other prisoners in tow.

Well, nearly all the other prisoners.

Roosevelt was still clinging to life in Sickbay and there was the unresolved manner of the Romulan held in the Brig.

Beverly wasn't present either. She was in Sickbay keeping a constant vigil over Roosevelt and helping him to record a message to his sister.

The team was given a brief overview of the survivors' journey – they had escaped and spent the last decade on the run working as an underground movement to disrupt Romulan activity.

And that was where the story ended.

Jean-Luc leaned forward in his seat. He glanced around the table, studying the faces of his officers.

"At the moment we have four pressing issues," Picard announced.

Jean-Luc cleared his throat.

"Mr Castillo and his team are going to brief us on what they know. There's an emerging threat in the Beta Quadrant. Something we haven't encountered before," Picard explained. "But firstly, they'll fill us in on this Romulan super starbase of sorts," Picard explained.

His primary concern was the Romulans.

The devil you know.

"Which raises the other two issues at hand – we are harbouring the survivors of the Enterprise-C along with Romulans and the bodies of members of the Klingon Defence Force," Picard went on.

He shook his head.

"Not to mention a stolen Romulan ship," Picard added with a heavy sigh. "And I can fathom no way to safely nor subtly handle properly reintegrating these men let alone handling the funerary arrangements and notification."

Certainly not without raising suspicion.

"Admiral Aaron has sent word there will be a formal inquiry into our delay. I would not be surprised if Starfleet has already dispatched ships to verify our story," Picard said.

It would only be a matter of time before Starfleet confirmed it was ruse.

"We have three, perhaps four days before we're caught red-handed," Picard said. "And I don't have to remind you what we're up against."

Data's expression shifted in the way it always did before he prepared to deliver unwelcome news.

"Mr Data?" Picard prompted.