The Sweet Taste of Chaos

Author's Note: Thank you so much for your continued support on this story! I truly enjoy all of our comments and engaging in discussion with you all about your theories, ideas, and thoughts.

You lot are simply the best! 

Sorry it has been a longer time between updates. The reason for this is that I've been working hard so that I can offer an "End of the Year" drop.

That's right – I'll be dropping new content each day 25 December – 3 Jan (Please note: Not all drops will be for this story

Once their holiday is complete, the crew will return to San Francisco for the Command Conference before embarking on their next mission. The Command Conference is going to feature a Lower Decks reference and a hint about what's coming re: Conspiracy.

I was always disappointed that Conspiracy seemed to be a major plot hole of the first series. There was so much potential there! We're going to see it play out a wee bit different. It certainly won't be a one-off episodic arc.

So what's coming next on our roadmap?

- The Command Conference

- The Battle

- The Big Goodbye

- Datalore

- The Bynars & Hollow Pursuits (feat. a tie-in with And Then There Was Fun).

As always, if you like to chat about writing or the fandom join me on Trek Twitter @TheTartanTart.

----------

The walk back home was quiet. Tasha tried to make conversation. To reassure Data that is OK. He didn't know. And she felt responsible for setting him up.

Data felt like the fault was his. He understood now why the villagers had seemed alarmed and confused by his reaction.

Data was mortified.

"Perhaps I am not as emotionally advanced as I previously thought?" Data commented as they walked along the road. "It would seem my programming has failed."

"Don't say that," Tasha replied. "It's actually quite human to misread a room."

She took hold of his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Data frowned. They had been outside.

He understood enough to know that Tasha's phrase was an idiom of some form.

Yet, the meaning escaped him.

And that made him feel all the more isolated.

It was one more glaring example of (at least in Data's mind) why he wasn't human enough.

Tasha could see he was struggling and that her choice of words had only further complicated the matter.

"Data, anyone could have made that mistake," she assured him.

When they reached the farmhouse, Data offered to settle Clopper in for the night.

"I'll help," Tasha offered.

A pained expression crossed Data's face.

"I believe I would like to be alone for a while," Data confessed.

Tasha's brow wrinkled as she reached up and stroked the side of his face.

"I am not, as you would say, alright," Data shared with a heavy sigh.