The Regulations

A/N: Thank you for reading & reviewing. Your feedback is so much appreciated. This story has taken on a much bigger life than originally intended. Sometimes plot bunnies have a way of doing that. This will not be the end of this story.

Trigger warning: This chapter includes discussion between a counsellor and client re: consent.

This is a fan-made work based on the Star Trek universe created by Gene Roddenberry. This is AU.

-----------

For this first time in days Tasha felt at ease on her shift. She hadn't felt the need to avoid Lt. Commander Data on the Bridge. They were remaining in orbit above Styris IV to watch over the deployment of the vaccine. Thus far, they had managed to vaccinate approximately 40% of the colony.

Captain Picard had ordered the transport of supplies to the infected colonies in an attempt to bring a stop to the violence on the surface.

Luckily, it had worked.

But most importantly, their uprising had brought attention to some long standing issues of inequality between the colonies. Captain Picard would be hosting a summit between leaders from nine of the colonies in four days.

The Federation would oversee drafting of a new agreement for peace and mutual prosperity. As Chief Security Officer, Tasha would have her work cut out for her. She would be working closely with the general Operations team to oversee security and quartering for their guests. In addition, she would be hosting her own security briefing between the representatives of the nine delegations so they would be prepared.

But that was "just another day aboard the Enterprise" she thought to herself.

As the Beta shift came aboard the Bridge to replace them, Tasha found that she was looking forward to her appointment with Counsellor Troi. She had a lot on her mind and speaking with Deanna would be a good start to sorting it out.

She stepped onto the turbolift with Commander Riker.

"I suppose we have you to thank for all of this," he said with a smile. "Nicely done, Lieutenant."

"Thank you, Commander," she replied.

-----------

Exiting the turbolift on Deck 9, Tasha made her way along the corridor to Counsellor Troi's quarters for her weekly session. After accessing the door chime, Deanna called for her to come in.

Tasha took a seat on Deanna's couch and Deanna offered her a cuppa.

"Thanks," Tasha said as she took the beaker.

"You are in a good mood," Deanna said as she sat down in the chair across from Tasha.

Tasha nodded as she took a sip.

"What's brought this change on?" Deanna asked.

Their last session had been informal and shortly after Ligon II. In fact, it had been right after Data had stopped in to check on her. Tasha was feeling frustrated and exhausted. In part, the emotional toll of having to actually kill Yareena had been the hardest part. Although Doctor Crusher had been able to revive her, it had struck Tasha in a way she couldn't put words to.

The first night, Deanna and Tasha had spent their informal session helping Tasha cope with this. Deanna had reminded Tasha that her efforts to secure that vaccine would save millions of people and that in the end, Yareena was better off for it.