Too Short a Season

Author's Note: Thank you so much for indulging me with the April Fool's arc!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

A few notes on this instalment – I really wanted to add some depth to the backstory between Karnas and Jameson. I think Karnas could have been a much more complex 'villain' with a little more motivation.

Therefore, there are a few divergences in this chapter from the canon episode.

As always, feel free to join me on Trek Twitter @TheTartanTart.

-X-

"Another mapping mission?" Geordi asked with a hint of frustration.

For nearly a month the Enterprise had been trekking across the same span of the galaxy as they mapped the Muratas Star Cluster.

It was routine, if not boring, assignment.

The team was already caught up on their training cycles and the Engineering staff had made a serious dent in their maintenance list.

Tasha and Worf had completed all their staff phaser recertifications.

Beverly and the medical team had taken inventory, conducted hundreds of physicals, and gone through nearly six months' worth of backlogged medical journals.

They were nearing the conclusion of their mission to the Muratas Star Cluster. For the last week, the team had eagerly awaited their next assignment in hopes it would prove to be a change of pace.

After all, they were in Starfleet because they shared a desire to explore – even if some days it felt more like they were out there playing diplomats to the galaxy.

It was 18:00 hours. Per Captain Picard's request, the crew were assembled in the Observation Lounge awaiting orders.

"I got a letter from my mother," Deanna said. "She said the peace talks on Bolarus IX and Maropa have been progressing. Perhaps we've been called in to assist if there's an impending treaty?"

"You know Wesley's been talking about this nebula cluster they just discovered in the Sigma sector near Zaran," Beverly informed them. "Apparently it's got the whole Astrochemistry team in a hubbub. Something about Monazite?"

Beverly shrugged.

"Yes! The initial team from the science vessel USS Beagle discovered heavy mineral deposits along an asteroid within the nebula cluster. The contained a number of rare elements including Monazite," Data chimed in.

He had read the report a few days earlier and hoped that their next assignment would be to join the Beagle in the nebula cluster.

Worf and Tasha exchanged a look from across the table.

"What?" Riker asked, sensing there was something they knew and weren't sharing with the group.

"There was an incident at a Federation depot," Worf said.

He was intentionally vague so as to avoid further questioning.

"What kind of incident?" Deanna asked.

"Seventeen Starfleet personnel killed. Two wounded. Critically," Tasha shared. "A salvage crew."

"That's awful," Beverly said. "But why would that involve us?"

It was a valid question. As tragic as such an occurrence was, it seemed highly unlikely the Enterprise would be called in for such a matter unless there was more to the story.

"Because it happened along the Neutral Zone," Worf said.

"And because there were originally three injured crew members. Before he succumbed to his injuries, Ensign Jared Taylor said the word 'disruptor'," Tasha said darkly.