The Big Goodbye

Data's holodeck experience resurfaces some of his insecurities. When Commander Riker has a moment of self-doubt, Tasha rises to the occassion. 

Author's Note: You all are simply the best! Each read, comment, and dm on twitter brings a smile to my face.

We're finally to The Big Goodbye which means we get another holodeck adventure and some fun for Captain Picard, Data, and Doctor Crusher. 

It's another long one. I just couldn't bear to cut any of it. We're exploring Data's emotions in this chapter. And there are some important events that lay the groundwork for things in the future with Tasha.

While it's mostly focused on Data, I did want to touch a little on something that's bothered me since the original episode – during the middle of highly tense diplomatic situation in which Captain Picard cannot be retrieved from the holodeck, Riker gets up and leaves Tasha in command to join Geordi at the holodeck. Yes. That really happens in the episode (and it's a shame we didn't get to see her in command).

Not to throw Riker under the bus, but this is such an odd and bothersome move and I wanted to address it and I think it speaks to one of the underlying themes of his character development.

Notes:

Money: We know replicators cannot replicate things like precious metals or latinum. However, in our story antiquated paper money that is no longer of any value is something the replicator can fashion.

Language: As we know from DS9, universal translator technology is eventually able to pick up on and decipher new languages. However, it requires those languages to be spoken enough in order for the translator to identify and understand.

In this headcanon, there are several reasons why the universal translator has still not deciphered it. Tasha is the only Turkanan in Starfleet. She rarely uses the language. In addition, even on Turkana it is not frequently used (the Alliance and the Coalition having spent years trying to stamp it out). The other Turkanans that have fled typically use more common languages that the universal translator can decipher as they have no use for the language anywhere else.

----------

Second Officer's personal log. Stardate 41736.5. We have just completed a brief stop at Starbase Coleman to drop off the Stargazer. She will undergo an assessment and evaluation before being retired to a shipyard.

The Enterprise is back underway on our mission to make diplomatic contact with the Jaradan people. I am eager to meet the Jarada. They are an insect-like people known for their idiosyncratic attitude toward protocol.

Mission preparations are on track, and I anticipate an eighty-three-point nine percent chance of success.

As part of our assignment, Captain Picard must deliver a precise greeting in the unusually complex Jaradan language. Even the slightest mispronunciation is regarded as an insult.

Despite his recent ordeal, Captain Picard seems more determined than ever to push on toward our mission. I find that-

Data paused as he heard the door to his quarters slide open.

Tasha stepped inside with a pair of boxing gloves slung over her shoulder.

She was sporting a cut above her left eye.

"Hey," she grinned.

"I take it your training session with Worf was not as successful as you would have hoped?" Data inquired.

"It was great," she replied as she pulled off her headband.

Tasha hissed as she pressed her fingers to the cut above her eye.