All That Glitters

Author's Note: Thank you all for your continued support on this journey.

Writing this story has been one of the biggest things keeping me going during lockdown. I am so grateful for a community that embraces this ship and my interpretation of the TNG story.

Long chapter alert! (And long notes) 

We're taking things out of order from series one, but I really wanted to include this storyline before we hit Haven and Measure of a Man.

Content Warning: Be advised, this chapter discusses pregnancy, miscarriage, and the loss of a child.

-X-

Per usual, you'll notice some differences from the source material. There seemed to be some serious plot holes in the original episode!

It never made much sense to me that such an advanced people would take like five kids and call it a day.

I know they're supposed to have lost much of the institutional knowledge of their forebearers, but surely they understood basic reproduction....

You'll also notice a discrepancy between the number of marriages Guinan sites in this chapter in comparison to what she tells Geordi in Nemesis. This is intentional.

-X-

As for the numbers, I like to estimate there are around 1700 people on the Enterprise (or 1701, tee hee)! In my own headcanon, I estimate one quarter to one third of that population is families and that there are around 80 – 100 children total.

That breaks down to a handful of children per age.

While families are present on the Enterprise-D, I imagine it's quite rare for an entire family to live together on the ship. Given that people get different assignments, the mix of Starfleet and civilian personnel, etc. I figure more families are probably spread out than living together – not just because of the risk, but also for reasons like work/not wanting to leave home/education/etc.

Eternally grateful - Charlie <3

--X--

It had been more than ten days since the incident on Velara III. The terraforming crew had been dropped off safely at Starbase 14 and the repairs to the Enterprise had been completed under the supervision of Geordi and Data.

Tasha had woken up early.

She rolled over in bed and noticed something blinking on her nightstand. It was her PADD signalling an incoming message.

Tasha reached for the device.

She was momentarily blinded as she tapped the screen.

Following the incident on Velara III, Tasha had registered a formal complaint with Starfleet Command, Starfleet Sciences Division, and Admiral Hansen personally.

While her letter had been formal, Tasha had certainly not minced any words in sharing how deeply disturbed she was by Starfleet's decision and how very wrong it had been to destroy an entire civilisation of peaceful inorganic crystalline lifeforms.

She had been waiting on pins and needles for a response ever since.

To her surprise, the incoming message was not from Starfleet Command.

Are you up? Secure video channel. 04:23.

That was all the message said.

Rixx. Tasha realised.