The Late Lieutenant La Forge

Author's Note: Thank you for all of your ongoing support on this journey.

First off, let's talk a bit about Tasha's symptoms. Was the last chapter title a double entendre? Yes.

Data has no frame of reference beyond what he's read and observed. And Tasha is woefully, lovably ignorant about her own health.

We have seen time and again where she neglects the needs of her own body & its attempts to communicate with her because she's none too keen to be examined.

It's a trauma response and can be very difficult for people to overcome.

Remember 'swamp gut?'

Our girl isn't going to Sickbay unless she's bleeding out of her eyes or Data forcibly carries her there. She's going to suffer in silence with this mysterious change in her health for a while as it comes and goes.

-X-

This is one of those chapters that is meant to be a mix of comedy and heartfelt fun. It's one of the last 'fun' ones we'll have for a while. It also features a bit more Geordi/Sonya focus that we typically see.

We're really getting into some heavy stuff soon as this Romulan conspiracy heats up.

I am desperately trying to wrap this story up by the end of April so we can get on into The Crucible (S2) and The Course We Set (S3/S4).

We've got about thirty chapters left so it's nose to the grindstone here.

As always, thank you for your support!

-X-

Chapter-specific C/W: In this chapter a simple error leads to Geordi being mistakenly declared dead. As such, conversations regarding death follow as this sparks the crew thinking about their own lives.

Also, mentions of pregnancy symptoms (including minor bleeding/spotting).

-X-

Tasha sighed. She felt completely at ease.

Even Data had to admit there was a certain sense of freedom that came from being outdoors under real stars.

This was no holodeck programme.

Data and Tasha were part of a small away team that had been sent in for an emergency medical extraction on an uninhabited planet known as Atup III.

A small research team on an extended survey mission had encountered a medical emergency. One of the scientists relied on an artificial heart.

And his heart was failing.

Transporters couldn't penetrate the atmosphere, so the team had come down via shuttle.

Beverly had made quick work of stabilising her patient. He would require treatment in a proper Starfleet medical facility and surgery to correct the faulty part in his artificial heart.

But for the moment, he was stable – which was fortunate given a plasma storm prevented the shuttle's return.

While the Enterprise was in for a turbulent night, the away team was enjoying some long overdue fresh air.

Travel restrictions remained in place aboard the Enterprise in light of the Romulan threat. That meant all shore leave, holidays, and professional trips had been put on hold - including Data and Tasha's plan for a secret wedding.

The only reason they got to spend this one night off the Enterprise was because she was the closest ship equipped to deal with the emergency medical extraction.