In The Shadow Of The Moon

Author's Note: Thank you for your continued support with this series. All of your reviews, likes, kudos, and messages are wonderful!

Content Warning: This is part two of the Hide and Q storyline. This chapter contains an expanded version of that storyline – including the fight with the strange, alien creatures and the rescue of the mining colony. So be advised, there is some violence in this chapter.

BUT – this chapter ends with some fluffiest scenes we've had in this story so...enjoy! <3

We're playing a bit fast and loose with canon so you will notice some differences in comparison to the episode. (For example, I think Worf is actually a big softie/romantic underneath it all.)

We also get a glimpse of Turkanan tradition.

And now, the conclusion of our retelling of Hide and Q.

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can like/follow at charliefenwick.com or @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

---------

"Geordi, can you see Worf?" Riker asked.

Beverly, Data, and Riker had all found their way back to their starting point on the odd planet.

Worf had yet to return.

Geordi was atop a rock formation scanning the area for any sign of danger.

"I'd see the freckles on his nose if he had them, sir. He's at the third ridge," Geordi advised as he pointed at the line of rocky terrain in the distance. "Moving well, too."

Suddenly, Geordi spotted a group of soldiers in the distance. They were dressed in a similar fashion to Q's nineteenth century Napoleonic era Marshal of France costume.

Without a doubt, they were part of Q's game.

"Oh, oh," Geordi said as he spied them. "Good, he sees them."

"Anything you can pick up from here, Data?" Riker asked.

Data gave Commander Riker a short nod and climbed up next to Geordi.

He scanned the horizon for Worf. His optical sensors were able to quickly identify the mineral and organic particles that made up the layers of sedimentary rock that were scattered across the landscape.

Under normal away mission circumstances, Data would want to study the ruddy siltstone and limestone layers. He was intrigued by archaeological xenobiology. As they were unable to identify their location, it was possible this world had never been explored.

However, at the moment, Data's thoughts were occupied with Tasha.

The slightest misstep could result in her permanent erasure from existence.

Data had always been fascinated by Q.

He understood the Q were dangerous. Their seemingly omnipotent nature and power were unmatched.

They were far advanced beyond the limitations of most of the organic lifeforms that Data had studied.

Furthermore, Q seemed to possess emotion, feeling, and desires.

Data couldn't deny his curiosity to learn more about them.

After all, they were a new lifeform and that was a primary component of their mission – to seek out new life.

After their first encounter with the Q, Data had been partially ashamed to admit he was hoping to encounter the lifeform again.

Now that he had, he regretted ever having such a desire.