The Command Conference

Conflicting assements from the Neutral Zone signifiy that all is not well in Starfleet Command. Suspicious activities indicate that a sudden change in Federation policy toward the Romulans fuels suspicion of a conspiracy. Data experiences an emotional first.

Author's Note: Alright, we're back in the Starfleet swing of things. 

This chapter is going to lay the groundwork for an upcoming story arc that we'll see play out in the later part of The Complication.

Unlike the original series, I wanted this arc to be more than just an episodic one off.

Thank you for your continued patience and support with this story!

----------

Second Officer's Personal Log. Stardate 41711.3. After five days of personal leave, the senior officers of the Enterprise, myself included, are preparing to beam down to Starfleet Headquarters for the annual Command Conference. This will be the fourteenth time attending such a conference, but my first as Second Officer of the Flagship.

While I am looking forward to gaining new insight on the Cardassian Border War and Starfleet's diplomatic efforts, Lieutenant Yar has expressed dismay that the Romulan situation appears to be a topic that has been 'glossed over.'

I find that I am in agreement. 

With our recent Romulan encounters, I am left wondering why Starfleet would neglect to include such a growing threat among its conference agenda. Without further information, I am left to merely speculate as to the reasons behind such a decision.

----------

Commander Riker tugged at the collar on his dress uniform.

"That is Admiral Grey," Data said out of the corner of his mouth as a tall woman walked past them.

She had an entourage of staff scurrying after her.

"And Captain Varley of the Yamato," Data advised.

Data, Tasha, Commander Riker, and Captain Picard were standing along the wall just inside the Command headquarters. For the last ten minutes, they'd been watching various officers walk through the lobby on their way to the start of the conference.

Data had memorised the entire expected attendance list and was pointing out various officers of note as they walked by.

All in all, it was making Captain Picard nervous.

He had no appetite for such functions and viewed them as a waste of time.

While the information was essential and he supported the exchange of ideas, it seemed with each passing year these conferences grew more into glorified schmooze-fests rather than a necessary information exchange.

In Jean-Luc's opinion, they had drifted so far from the original purpose of such gatherings – a shift that was highlighted by the fact most officers were looking forward to the reception rather than the meeting.

A small chime indicated that the conference would call to order in a few minutes.

Reluctantly, the four officers made their way into a large, round assembly and took their seats. Each ship had assigned a table with seats for the Captain, First Officer, Second Officer, and Tactical Chief.

At the front of the room was a long, curved table where the senior-most members of Starfleet Command were seated. In the middle, was a raised platform and podium for senior Fleet Admiral – also known as the Commander in Chief.