Coming of Age

Author's Note: Ah! I'm so thrilled to be here! This instalment marks both chapter 80 and over 900,000 words in this story!

I'm thrilled and so grateful for all of your support.

As I mentioned in the last update – there are some dark days ahead. The Romulan conspiracy arc is now in full swing.

I've been writing like mad in an effort to finish The Complication by the end of the year. My goal is to have this wrapped up so I can drop the sequels The Crucible (TNG S2) and the start of The Course We Set (S3-S4) by early January.

Our roadmap for the next few updates is as follows:

Coming of Age: Wes prepares for his entrance exams to Starfleet Academy. New information forces the team to rethink the Romulan Conspiracy.

Heart of Glory: When three rogue Klingons leave Worf with uncomfortable questions, the crew are there to remind him that the Enterprise is home.

Arsenal of Freedom: A computerised weapons system proves more than a match for the crew. With the Captain, Commander Riker, and Doctor Crusher injured, it's up to Data and Tasha to save them. Meanwhile, Geordi's in command.

Symbiosis: The rescue of a transport freighter pulls the Enterprise into a difficult conflict – one that causes disagreements to flare up between the crew. When an argument between Beverly and Jean-Luc reaches the boiling point, it has serious repercussions for their relationship.

Sucker Punch: Full disclosure – this is a fun romp palette cleanser to break up all the heavy material. Jean-Luc's ego gets the better of him when he agrees to participate in a friendly inter-ship rivalry. The crew of the Enterprise face off against the Yamato in a series of challenges designed to test them.

-X-

"These are the reports from the ship's stores, cargo bays three, five, and eight, and, eh," Tasha paused as she shuffled the tablets in her hand. "And that is the medical storage locker and hazardous waste."

Tasha set the final tablet down on the surface of Data's workstation.

"Oh," she gasped.

Tasha swiped her finger on the screen to pull another report.

"This is a requisition requiring the approval of the First or Second officer," Tasha explained.

Data frowned as he skimmed over the request.

"For a new personal PADD?" Data asked.

He glanced up at Tasha.

"What has happened to your device?" Data inquired.

"Broke," Tasha said simply.

Data's brow furrowed as he eyed Tasha with suspicion.

"Perhaps I can fix it," Data offered.

"No," Tasha answered. "I think it's a bit beyond repair at this point."

But Data wasn't going to simply accept her explanation without more detail. While he trusted Tasha, PADDs weren't just readily issued at whim. Because of their capabilities, it was essential for Starfleet to track precisely where they were issued and why.

Though the loss of the object certainly explained why Tasha had presented him their final departure checklist reports on several different tablets.

Data also recognised that technology was not Tasha's forte. Presuming that her assumption about its state was inaccurate – Data decided to press the issue.