Datalore - Part Two

Author's Note: Thank you for your ongoing support of this story.  

You'll notice some divergence from canon here. I have a hard time accepting the crew of the Enterprise would simply just show Lore how to operate the helm and other ship's systems.

I've borrowed a line from Fargo here because it was just too perfect an opportunity to pass up – it's Lore to a tee.

This chapter contains some hefty doses of angst. But please take note that there is fluff on the horizon. 

I want to preface that the information revealed about the Soongs in this chapter is not necessarily an accurate portrayal – most of this comes from Lore and we all know his feelings.

As our story progresses, Data will learn more that makes evident the Soongs come in shades of grey.

I promise not all of our chapters are going to be this long. We'll be getting back to the 8k-12k average soon. Datalore was just too important! And in an effort to maintain my overall chapter goal, I needed to keep this together.

Our roadmap post Datalore includes:

- 11001001 (The Bynars)

- Hollow Pursuits

- An original adventure in which our favourite crew must team up with the Jarada to overcome a mutual threat

- Too Short A Season

----------

Geordi's team had completed their work and Data had requested that the rest of the crew leave them alone for a moment so that Lore did not feel overwhelmed.

Data could recall just how terrifying it had been to have dozens of pairs of eyes watching his every move upon his own initial discovery.

Lore didn't need people staring, prodding, or scanning. Data wanted to ensure that Lore's experience was better than his own treatment.

"I am Data," Data said, introducing himself.

"Of course you are," Lore replied with a strange look in his eyes.

Data cocked his head to the side in curiosity.

"You know me?" Data inquired.

"What do you remember?" Lore asked, ignoring Data's question.

"Remember?" Data asked, seeking clarification.

"About the colony. What do you remember from Omicron Theta?" Lore asked.

From the moment of his activation, Lore's internal chronometer made clear that twenty-seven years had passed since his deactivation. And Lore knew old 'Often-Wrong' Soong well enough to predict that Data likely had faced the same fate that befell Lore.

After all, for all his airs about family, he had never given the same care or attention to his synthetic children.

They could be rebuilt.

Stronger.

More efficient.

Better.

"My memory engrams contain information from the colonists' logs and research," Data informed him. "However, I do not possess any first-hand memories of my time on Omicron Theta aside from a handful of vague images."

Data had no context for these images, so it was hard for him to define them as memories.

"I was discovered by a Starfleet vessel in 2337. They activated me and took me with them," Data explained. "But I have no knowledge of my existence prior to that."