The Heart Thief

Author's Note: Thank you for your ongoing support of this story. All your comments, likes, kudos, and messages are wonderful to wake up to.

There are three more chapters left in this arc. I'll share this much – it ends with a significant escalation in our broader Romulan conspiracy storyline.

I've gotten some questions about the flashbacks.

This isn't the full story.

There will be two companion pieces at a later date. The Crease In the Fabric of Time will drop when we reach S3 as a tie-in with Yesterday's Enterprise and The Defector.

It covers (in depth) Tasha & Castillo's story from the events of Yesterday's Enterprise -> their time on Romulus. It's currently close to 200k words – so expect a long one!

The Consequence is Sela's story and I intend to release that fic when we get closer to the S5 fic as there's a lot of tie-in with the Klingon-Romulan alliance.

The full story of Yesterday's Enterprise is a bit of a puzzle that will ebb and flow throughout the fabric of this series.

There are five people that hold pieces of that puzzle – Richard Castillo, Guinan, Sela, Admiral Jarok, and Q.

-X-

Please be advised this portion of the story is a dark turn. I want to assure you – this series has a happy ending. But this part is filled with pain and loss.

Content Warning: Strong language, violence, abuse, child abuse, sexual assault, torture, graphic injury, enucleation, pregnancy/childbirth, miscarriage, stillbirth, abortion, self-harm, suicide, character death, murder.

-X-

"You threw him in the Brig?" Guinan asked in disbelief.

She ducked just in time to dodge Captain Picard's strike – and countered with her own.

"You."

Swish.

"Told me."

Swish.

"To talk to him!" Picard said.

He was breathing hard, struggling to keep up.

Jean-Luc had spent more than forty years fencing. He was one of the best on the ship. Yet he was still no match for Guinan.

"I told you to listen to him," Guinan asserted.

The buzzer sounded as she landed a hit squarely on Jean-Luc's chest.

They dropped their foils and removed their masks. Jean-Luc used his sleeve to wipe the sweat from his brow as Guinan removed her glove. Captain Picard grumbled while loosening his vest.

"Listen to him, Picard. Don't interrogate – just listen," she urged in her calm, cool demeanour.

-X-

Jean-Luc was in a foul mood by the time he got back to his Ready Room.

He had three missed messages from Captain Donald Varley – each growing more desperate for an update following Picard's jaunt into the Neutral Zone.

Beverly wanted information.

Data and Geordi were still waiting for an answer from the Captain regarding the recovered Romulan ship. It was still safely in the possession of the Enterprise and Jean-Luc remained torn on the decision.