All Kinds of Weather

Author's Note: Onward we go.

This is going to seem rather Geordi-heavy. And it is (to a degree). But I promise it comes back to Data/Tasha and it's worth it!

It's a bit of a fun, rather silly chapter. But as The Complication is growing to a close, we're in for some heavy material ahead. I strive for balance, so this is a bit of a reprieve before things get dark.

Where we last left off – the team is en route to rendezvous with the USS Berlin where Geordi is dreading the reunion with his older sister, Ariana.

From there, the Enterprise will be travelling along to Relva VII where Wesley will prepare for his Starfleet Academy entrance exam and Captain Picard is in for an unexpected visit.

We are now 2/3 of the way through The Complication. The final third of this story focuses heavily on the ongoing Romulan conspiracy arc. But don't worry – we've got plenty of fluff and adventure mixed in between Miles and Keiko's wedding, the reappearance of Lore, and the introduction of Spot!

In accordance with my own take on this universe, Starfleet Academy students can be admitted at the age of fifteen. Canon says sixteen, but I'm saying fifteen for this story for reasons that will become apparent in later instalments.

Thank you for all your support!

-X-

"Would you like me to get you an iced coffee?" Data asked.

"No," Geordi replied.

Out of the corner of his eye, Data watched as Geordi rolled his shoulders and ran his hand over the top of his hair again.

Geordi reached up and smoothed the collar of his uniform. It was the third time he'd done so in the last five minutes.

"Geordi, your uniform is straight," Data advised.

Geordi rocked his neck side to side to crack it.

"Geordi-" Data began to protest.

"I'm fine!" Geordi snapped.

Data quirked an eyebrow in Geordi's direction.

-X-

Down several decks, Geordi wasn't the only one feeling nervous.

"Sir?" Riker prompted.

He had noticed that Captain Picard seemed on edge. They were waiting along the wall in the front of the room in the Enterprise's secondary school student union. It was a facility predominately used for larger school functions.

"This is a big day, Number One," Picard replied.

There were parents, students, teachers, and friends all assembled in neat little rows of chairs waiting patiently as the Head Teacher gave a speech on the importance of education.

The door slid open, and Beverly quietly slipped into the back of the room. Jean-Luc and Beverly exchanged a small, knowing nod from across the room.

With the resupply of the Berlin underway, this was a busy day for Beverly. She'd been up since 02:00 to ensure everything was ready so that she could make this event.

"In accordance with Starfleet policy, the Enterprise is awarded one slot for a prospective Starfleet Academy cadet to take the entrance exam," the Head Teacher explained. "While we only send one student on to the exam, I am pleased to announce that this year's test results were the highest we have ever seen aboard the Enterprise."