The Finite Nature

Author's Note: And now, the conclusion to our holiday arc. 

--------

The train ride was all Data could have imagined and more. Seated inside a private compartment, Data and Tasha relaxed back on the plush velvet seats as the train chugged along the tracks.

After a time, the sound became almost rhythmic and served to put Data at ease. 

The tracks cut across the preserve – winding through limestone hills, spanning the open moors, and cutting through endless fields of heather.

It was hard for Tasha to keep her eyes open as they rode along. All the layers from her dress were warm and the steady tempo of the train was relaxing. She surmised this is what it must feel like when they put babies in the holotraveller to get them to sleep.

It was a small device that fit over a carrier and offered moving scenes and brown noise. Parents swore by it as a tried-and-true method for putting even the most unruly of children to sleep.

"Hmmm?" Tasha said as she felt Data grasp her hand.

She was resting her head on the wall by the window and had dozed off.

"Sorry," Tasha said as she opened her eyes. "Didn't mean to drift off."

"It is quite alright," Data assured her.

They smiled at one another, holding hands across the open space between them.

"I thought you might be more comfortable over here," Data offered.

He pulled her off the bench across the compartment and Tasha sat down next to him. She curled up by the window and rested her head back against his chest. Data reached around and intertwined his fingers with her own.

"You sure you wouldn't rather draw or read?" she asked.

"I would much rather hold you," Data answered.

--------

When they reached Richmond, the train slowed to a stop. Tasha awoke as the whistle blew. She sat up and stretched, hissing at the discomfort of her dress.

The historical district around the train station was a lovely little area. They only had about three hours to explore before they would need to head back.

Nonetheless, Tasha was keen for the chance to stretch her legs.

From the historical district, they were able to hop a modern shuttle to catch the ruins of Easby Abbey. While many landmarks had been destroyed during the third world war, Easby Abbey was one that had managed to escape the devastation.

Data was fascinated by the 13th-century wall paintings.

"This abbey was founded over one thousand years ago. Somehow it has managed to survive the dissolution of the monasteries, a civil war, and three world wars," Data said in awe.

In some unusual way, Data felt a connection with this building.

As he himself had no known lifespan, Data experienced a sense of camaraderie with something that had existed for long. Unlike all of the other surrounding buildings that would have been built a thousand years earlier, this building had stood the test of time.

It had watched the city grow, standing steadfast while all the other buildings around it came and went as the landscape changed.

Data reached out and ran his hand along the stone wall, touching it and sharing a silent moment of understanding with something so ancient.