Three Words

A/N: I'm attempting to balance chapters with "action" against the chapters that are more exploration of feelings/relationship development. We'll continue to fill in missing scenes around canon episodes.

And of course, it wouldn't be Trek with the subplots! The next few chapters are going to focus a bit on Data/Geordi friendship and Tasha/Worf friendship.

The Starfleet Regulation mentioned in this is an actual canon regulation known as the "Interspecies Protocol." Crazy , eh?

Thank you so much for your support as we continue this story! If you enjoy my work, feel free to like and follow @TheTartanTart on Twitter and Facebook.

-----------

"We'll maintain our heading for the time being. Starfleet has ordered us to transport a group of colonists to the Strnad system. The Captain will have more information about our next mission tomorrow," Commander Riker stated as he explained their latest orders from Starfleet.

The senior officers of the Enterprise, sans Captain Picard, were seated around the long table in the Observation Lounge. Commander Riker had been in command of the Enterprise since the previous night.

"How is the Captain?" Geordi asked.

It was a question that had weighed heavily on the minds of the crew.

"He will resume command tomorrow," Commander Riker explained.

"I've scheduled a short session with all of you today," Counsellor Troi stated. "I think it is important that each of you have the opportunity to discuss what happened yesterday. You'll find your time on your schedule."

The encounter with the Entity had left its mark on all of them. For both Tasha and Captain Picard, the mark had been both physical and mental.

Data checked his PADD as he had not yet seen a scheduled appointment. But in fairness, he had not checked his PADD since the night before at 22:40.

Although his typical routine involved memorising the entirety of the Enterprise schedule first thing in the morning, Data had been otherwise preoccupied this morning.

He caught Tasha's eyes briefly. She knew exactly what he'd been thinking about.

"Counsellor, when is my appointment?" Data asked as he scanned through his PADD.

Commander Riker and Deanna exchanged a glance.

"I'm sorry. I didn't schedule one for you, Data," Deanna said.

She couldn't explain it, but she was picking up on a crestfallen feeling coming from Data.

"Would you like to talk today, Data?" Deanna asked.

"Yes please, Counsellor," Data replied.

Deanna smiled.

"Of course, Data. I'll put you on the schedule for today," Deanna said.

"Thank you, Counsellor," Data responded as his eyes lit up.

"And I'll see you for your follow up exam at 09:00 hours," Doctor Crusher said to Tasha.

"Lieutenant Yar, why don't you go now and get it out of the way? I'll keep Ensign Tuttle at Tactical until your return," Riker suggested.

Tasha nodded and followed Doctor Crusher to Sickbay.

-----------

"Tasha? Tasha?" Doctor Crusher prompted.

Tasha snapped out of her thoughts and back to the present. She didn't realise she had drifted off.