The Little Things

Author's Note: From the bottom of my heart – thank you for your continued support of this story.

And now we get the fun! Data and Tasha have arrived at their destination. They get five whole days to themselves with no Enterprise and no work.

There are a number of homages to various documentaries in this instalment:

"Hauxwell" is a tribute to Hannah Hauxwell.

The book mentioned is, in fact, a real book just Doctor Henry Stephens was a real author, inventor, and surgeon. His mention and our beloved "Clopper" are a reference to three of my favourite historical authors/presenters and their magnificent work to study agricultural history and the history of British rail.

As always, if you enjoy chatting about the fandom or writing in general – join me on Twitter @TheTartanTart.

-----------

They arrived on foot in a small village an hour later.

For the first time in his life, Data felt he fully grasped the phrase 'kid in a candy shoppe.'

The street was cobblestone and lined with wee shoppes with brick walls and tin roofs. A horse-drawn cart passed them. It was filled to the brim with coal. A Vulcan man with a large handlebar moustache was selling fruit from a stand. He tipped his hat as they passed him.

Everything from the sound of the blacksmith's hammer striking a horseshoe to the oil lamps that lined the street were as if they had been ripped from the pages of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Charles Dickens.

Data stared in wonder. There was a quaint brick postal office, a woman hanging tallow candles in a shoppe across the way, and a historic chemist.

There was even a man pulling a live sheep along – which appeared to be more of a struggle than Data could have anticipated.

Data was so caught up in absorbing the sights, sounds, and smells of their surroundings that he failed to notice the strange looks of the various shopkeepers and residents as they eyed the android with scepticism.

"It's a protected area. Historic Preservation. Part of the Hauxwell Institute of Historical Sciences. No modern technology allowed. They specialise in the late Victorian Era," Tasha explained. "Welcome to Karstshire Village."

Nestled in the Yorkshire Dales, Karstshire Village was inhabited with living historians, archaeologists, agricultural researchers, and enthusiasts. They ran period-appropriate shoppes and wore late Victorian attire while both researching and teaching everything from historic farming and mining techniques, cooking, textile making, and woodworking.

Data was at a loss for words.

Tasha wasn't sure if his reaction was confusion, excitement, or disappointment.

"Look, I wanted to get you into the Sherlock Holmes Experience in London. They do this three-day thing where you live like Holmes and get to solve a case and everything," Tasha said apologetically. "I'm sorry. It's closed for maintenance. I thought maybe this would be the next closest thing. They offer Holmes-era activities and there's some interesting geological um – stuff - for you to check out."

She was rambling now, feeling doubtful, and questioning her decision to bring him here.

Tasha scratched the back of her neck as she shifted her weight foot to foot.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have checked with you before-"

She stopped speaking when he pressed his lips against her own.