Old Friends, New Enemies

Author's Note: Thank you for your support of this story!

In this chapter, I hope to capture the stark differences between the ongoing investigation and the domestic life of our characters.

This danger now lies within the very walls of their home.

There is a moment where Data and Tasha eat poke bowls. Please note, these are replicated. They prefer meals from Ten Forward made with real ingredients (Guinan's specials). But given the circumstances, they opt to share this meal from the replicator.

That means the typical concerns re: raw fish & pregnancy are not applicable. (Beverly will explain more when this little secret is finally revealed).

There are some fairly sappy moments between Data and Tasha in this chapter. It's mostly sappy. A little steamy.

I just couldn't help myself. These two are just so stinkin' cute.

-X-

There are several references to Romulan mythology based very loosely on Michael Chabon's work for Picard. Please don't fret if you haven't seen Picard.

You don't need to know any of it to understand this chapter as Picard only gave us a tiny taste of Romulan mythos.

If you are a big fan of Chabon & Picard, you may notice some 'ooo ooo!' moments. But if you aren't, please know that you aren't missing out on anything.

I have also chosen to ignore Sybok and the whole Vorta Vor, Romulan, and Vulcan mythology used in Star Trek V. I have nothing against the film, I've just chosen to go a different direction.

-X-

Chapter-specific C/W: Grief/Loss, discussion of scars and beauty standards. Sex (not explicit).

-X-

"Should I take the fact I'm talking to you as a good sign that things are going well on the Enterprise and Picard can delegate this task off?"

Tasha was in her office on a secure channel with Captain Rixx.

"Or does this mean he's too busy putting out fires?" Rixx asked.

Tasha hesitated and Rixx had his answer.

"I'm sorry, it's been a long day," Tasha apologised.

"You look like hell," Rixx said.

Tasha replied with a bleak grin. She had barely slept the last few days and was running on fumes.

"We need to find a new place to hide," Tasha said.

Rixx nodded slowly. ­

"Varley."

There was no trace of anger in Captain Rixx's voice. Rather, he seemed resigned to the fact such a consequence was inevitable.

"Well, it's a good thing I started looking this morning," Rixx said.

Rixx had backup plans for backup plans. It was just in his nature.

"You already have prospects?" Tasha asked, intrigued.

Rixx flashed her a smile.

"And preliminary probe data," Rixx replied.

His initial scans had already sent back valuable information.

"You always were a sweet talker." Tasha winked.