Hollow Pursuits

Author's Note: Thank you for all of your likes, kudos, subs, and reviews!

Your support on this journey has made it all worthwhile.  

*Clasps hands together*

Hollow Pursuits! 

We're here!

Please note, this will be a two-part instalment.

Chapter specific content warnings: Some moments of violence during some of the holodeck programmes.

We have finally reached the tie-in with the companion story And Then There Was Fun .

In the timeline, And Then There Was Fun will occur between chapters 56 and 57.

There will be a wee bit of an in-universe time jump (just a few weeks) when we pick back up with The Complication in chapter 57 as we see our favourite characters team up with the Jarada for a joint mission.

The Walsh's are back – sort of. They're up to no good (no surprises there). Admiral Walsh is plotting behind the scenes, but it will be a while before we see him in any official capacity again. For now, Walsh is hanging out there like a shadow, unbeknownst to our crew.

Walsh will emerge once we reach The Measure of a Man . It is a companion fic called The Case with two tie-in chapters. Technically, it's a series 2 episode. However, for reasons that will become apparent in time it fit better to include in our series 1 retcon.

-----------

Reg Barclay was walking down the corridor when he spied Command Riker approaching his direction.

His chest grew tight and started to panic.

Attempting to scan the area without looking like he was searching around, Barclay was trying to identify any possible escape route to allow him to avoid crossing paths with the First Officer.

Reg had made a plan to avoid Commander Riker for the next few days at all costs.

But the distance between them was closing fast and there was nowhere for Reg to turn without making it obvious that he was trying to avoid confrontation.

"Mr Barclay," Commander Riker said as he drew closer.

Barclay gave him a small wave and began to walk faster. He reasoned that if he couldn't get around Riker, then he could at least shorten their interaction.

It would be easy to feign rushing off to a task.

"Mr Barclay, I wanted to talk to you about the other day," Commander Riker said.

They were less than a metre apart.

"I-I-I'm terribly sorry, sir," Reg said as he tried to make a beeline around him.

"Slow down," Riker ordered.

Barclay stopped. He closed his eyes and swallowed the lump in his throat.

It hadn't been his fault.

Reg had done everything he could.

But none of that had mattered to Commander Riker.

-----------

Several Days Prior

"Well?" Riker demanded.

Reg Barclay was sweating under the collar of his uniform. For the last two hours he had been at the terminal for Holodeck Three trying to help commander Riker retrieve a file that had disappeared.