Bosom Buddies

Author's Note: And now the conclusion...

-X-

To Geordi's dismay, Ariana had fit right in with the rest of the team. She drank Raktajino in the afternoons with Data, swapping stories and theories about detective novels and sharing her memories of growing up in Starfleet.

Worf found her knowledge of Klingon opera impressive whenever they shared tea.

Ariana's research on sound waves had proven invaluable to the crew. Tasha was most interested in the practical applications of her research – including a plan to use a device that manipulated soundwaves to detect cloaked vessels.

Beverly was eternally grateful for Ariana's ambient sleep programme as it showed promising early results for a number of her patients suffering from insomnia.

And she was a big hit with the boys down in Cetacean Ops.

Geordi felt like the worst part of his childhood had returned to haunt him.

"Two more weeks," Geordi reminded himself aloud.

Geordi set down his sonic driver to inspect his work on the central Engineering console.

"Technically, one week, five days, nine hours, seventeen minutes and-"

Data metaphorically bit his tongue as Geordi shot him a look.

"Less than two weeks then," Geordi said.

"That would be an accurate statement," Data agreed.

"Still too long," Geordi grumbled before turning back to his work.

Data sensed this would be a prime opportunity to raise an issue that he longed to address for the last week.

Well, at least for the last seven days, fifteen hours, and forty-three minutes.

"Geordi, I am wondering if we could employ a second deception?" Data inquired.

Geordi let his head fall back as he groaned.

"I don't want any more lies or deceptions or plans or schemes!" Geordi snapped.

Geordi dropped his sonic driver into his toolkit harder than intended.

"Look, I'm not blaming you for what's happened. But this has gotten way, way out of control," Geordi fumed.

There had been an incoming transmission from his mother – congratulating him on his relationship with Data and expressing her support.

Geordi was now panicked that feigning a break-up would only lead to his mum hounding Data after the fact.

"Maybe I should just come clean. Oooo! Oooo! Or tell her that I don't actually have a partner and I made it all up!" Geordi said wildly.

"Geordi, I do not believe that you should compound our first lie with a second one," Data advised.

"I thought you just-"

"I was suggesting more of a ruse," Data settled on.

Geordi visibly bristled at the use of the term 'ruse.' Data put his hand up to signal that he would clarify.

"At least, not something to the magnitude of our initial deception," Data added.

"Daaaatttaaa," Geordi said slowly.

Geordi's shoulders slumped as he sat back on his knees.

"I just, I want what you and T have. Someday, you know?" Geordi shared. "And ever since meeting Sonya, well, it's my first real chance at that. I don't want to screw this up."