Angel One: Part Two

Author's Note: Reading all of the comments from you guys makes me squee! I cannae tell you how much it literally makes my day to see people enjoy this story. Thank you for all of your support as we work through " The Complication ."

As noted in the last update, this story is not ending anytime soon.

It's hard to fathom that we're thirty chapters in now and that there is still so much to come.

As always, if you like my works or want to stay up to date with art, comics, or just like chatting about the fandom you can like/follow at charliefenwick.com or @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

----------

A man with haggard sandy blonde hair stepped out from the shadows.

"How did you find me?" he demanded.

"Are you Ramsey?" Commander Riker asked.

The man nodded.

"Come here," he said as he waved them over by the fire. "I'm sure you're cold. And if you aren't, you will be soon."

The team approached the fire.

Tasha had to admit, it certainly did feel nice to be closer to the warmth of the campfire. As she glanced around, she realised that Ramsey and his followers were living here.

For a moment, she told herself that she couldn't imagine living out here in this cold climate.

Tasha kicked herself internally.

You don't have to imagine. A little voice in her head reminded her.

Tasha could recognise the signs of camp life from her own experience of growing up on Turkana.

From time to time, there was shelter.

But shelter usually wasn't safe.

Especially for two young girls in a world where black market organ harvesting, slavery, and drug running were the most common 'industries.'

More often than not, the Yar sisters lived in conditions like this – camping out in caves, swamps, or on the windswept plains.

"Again, how did you find me?" Ramsey inquired.

Data explained that the process had been quite simple. As Angel One had no platinum, they had been able to attune the ship's sensors to target that element and speed up the search.

"My wings," Ramsey said wistfully. "I only kept them for their sentimental value."

He unclipped the wings from his lapel and looked down at them bitterly.

"A reminder of the life I left behind," he went on.

Judging by the conditions at the camp, Tasha estimated there had to be between thirty and forty people living there – including children.

"Where are the other survivors, Ramsey?" she asked.

He hesitated, uncertain of whether or not he could trust these Starfleet personnel.

"They've got to be close," Tasha added. "I can see your camp has children."

Tasha knelt down and picked up a toy from the ground. It was a crudely made doll – sewn from scraps and stuffed with straw.

"We're here to help you," Tasha assured him.

Ramsey kicked the dirt back and forth.

"They're nearby," Ramsey confessed. "Packing, as a matter of fact, since we can no longer remain here."